Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

why do you homeschool?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 39 Replies
We all started homeschooling for various reasons and i believe that sometimes when things get stressful we tend to momentarly forget why we chose this path for our child/rens lives. So i ask you, why did you begin homeschooling?

We chose homeschooling primarly because we saw how unhappy our dd was in "regular"school. We wanted to see a smile on her face again and wewere tired of her missing so many days being sick from germs she picked up there!
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
noraa21
by Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am homeschooling this year due to bullying issues last year among other things during the last couple of years my DS was in PS. 

pepsi_lover_mom
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I am homeschooling primarily because the ps my son was attending was a joke. Ds went into kindergarten at a 1st grade level. He was acting out due to boredom and even with me talking to school faculty numerous times they failed to realize ds was advanced and kept using the excuse "he is a new 5" to justify his behavior instead of listening to me. I finally had the last straw when I got ds' report card and saw they had failed him on nearly everything! When asked why they explained it was because he had 10.5 absences in 2 quarters of school. All absences were excused because they were for dr apts (got dr notes) for health conditions the school was fully aware he had prior to the school year starting. I tried for a week to speak with someone to no prevail so I withdrew him. The day I withdrew him I realized the true ignorance of the school when the principal and counselor told me "we get a lot of home school kids in here and they are always behind, there is such a huge gap between them and their peers" which i know darn good and well is total bs.  

Christine0813
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Our public schools are declining each year.

I also felt my kids weren't getting the attention needed, especially when they had some difficulties. I also felt the school really didn't care, and was just worried about money coming in.

I just don't how any school with 20+ kids, in one class, can possibly be learning at the same pace, and be able to move on to the next grade.

They were in a Catholic school.

SpiritedDragon
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We haven't begun yet, but the reasons why we are going to begin home-schooling is due to the lack of ps on helping Ds1 expand, he was held back in first grade due to his reading.  But they have barely helped him achieve anything, I am pulling him out for him to thrive, and get back to where he belongs.  As far as my ds2, I gave him the opt.  he wants to stay home, and he does the same work as his brother even though he is two years younger.

hellfur58
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I'm thinking about homeschooling however I'm trying to figure out how I can homeschool and go to college full-time. It won't matter anyway until my junior year of college but I'm also looking at the financial aspect of if it is affordable. I've found my Islamic Studies/Arabic curriculum it's the other subjects I need to be concerned about.  I want our kids to have a good religous foundation as well as good science and math foundation.  Problem is most of the curriculum out there is Christian based and we're Muslims.  I am curious about how if you homeschool your kids are exposed to germs and bulid up their immune systems.  Probably I'll put our son in the preschool at our Islamic school which will make it easier on me for studying.  I plan on buying land in three years and building a house on that land and will be putting a classroom in my home as well as I won't let my kids go to public school.  I want to be able to keep our religion and culture intact, be able to control the curriculum and what they learn, be able to instill morals and values that we believe in, I don't like all the 'state testing' that allows zero room for failure/flexiblity, I don't want our kids being bullied by their teachers/classmates, I don't like all the gun violence, drugs, premarital sex, drinking, smoking, cutting class, gangs in schools now.  I don't like how teachers can't be creative in their lesson plans.  Those are why I am leaning more and more towards homeschool.

oredeb
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

i started homeschooling because of all the bullying going on when i went to school, i wasnt going let my kids go through it! so homeschool instead of ps! and never regretted it!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

We started because my oldest was being bullied in the  PS. We continue because the system is so obsolete & broken that unless it is completely replaced by something very different it will never work right!

Aleshad01
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We are going to start homeschooling in the fall due to the poor scoring PS here.  The school is failing for reading.  Also the class sizes are too big and the kids aren't getting enough attention in the areas needed.

MedicMommy2
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM

OMG are you living my life??? That is word for word what happened with us. WIth us they not only failed him they wanted to test him for special ed...so we went and had him privately tested and his IQ is in the top 2% and he was obviously bored. In one month we have done half a semester worth of work and he will start 1st grade in a few months. We use a program though. I withdrew him after usless talks about why they wouldn't excuse his hospitalization.....since you know I planned it.

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

I am homeschooling primarily because the ps my son was attending was a joke. Ds went into kindergarten at a 1st grade level. He was acting out due to boredom and even with me talking to school faculty numerous times they failed to realize ds was advanced and kept using the excuse "he is a new 5" to justify his behavior instead of listening to me. I finally had the last straw when I got ds' report card and saw they had failed him on nearly everything! When asked why they explained it was because he had 10.5 absences in 2 quarters of school. All absences were excused because they were for dr apts (got dr notes) for health conditions the school was fully aware he had prior to the school year starting. I tried for a week to speak with someone to no prevail so I withdrew him. The day I withdrew him I realized the true ignorance of the school when the principal and counselor told me "we get a lot of home school kids in here and they are always behind, there is such a huge gap between them and their peers" which i know darn good and well is total bs.  

MedicMommy2
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Pepsi- we also got the he is a new 5 bull.....his birthday was the cut off date.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN