Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
We all started homeschooling for various reasons and i believe that sometimes when things get stressful we tend to momentarly forget why we chose this path for our child/rens lives. So i ask you, why did you begin homeschooling?

We chose homeschooling primarly because we saw how unhappy our dd was in "regular"school. We wanted to see a smile on her face again and wewere tired of her missing so many days being sick from germs she picked up there!
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Replies (31-39):
Hills316
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We had similar issues and tried to put our daughter in a private school, but despite her high IQ they would not accept her because they labeled her as "special needs" due to social issues that were later diagnosed as aspergers.  The public school she was in also kept threatening us with "corrective action" because of the days she missed, (once she hit 10+ days), but they were excused absences for academic testing, doctors appointments and evaluations THEY recommended, not to mention all the times they sent her home for throwing up (which wasnt from being sick. It was what happened when she got "over-stimulated" which they were already aware of). 

We started homeschooling and the difference was immediately noticeable and it was a positive experience for all of us. Since homeschooling she hasnt had any "PDD" issues like throwing up, self-stim, or overreacting to stimuli as the school constantly had issues with. We're growing stronger as a family, spending more time together. We have the ability to control what she is taught (she believes everything, even if it comes from another kid and makes no sense and once she is "taught" something its hard to convince her otherwise.... which we think is a positive quality, but not if she's being filled with "garbage information" from peers, the media, etc.....)   I also love being able to customize the curriculum to what suits HER the best, and watching her advance quicker than she would have being held back academically in school (she began K at a 1st grade level and obviously didnt advance while she was there).

Public schools (at least in our area) are going down hill more and more every year, having to lay off more and more teachers each time they pass a new budget, increasing class room sizes, and teaching with fewer and older supplies. And we wanted a faith based education anyway. If we had the option we would have choosen a private school, but now that we have done so much research into homeschooling and started our first year, I dont think i would ever go back to shipping my children off for someone else to teach.  I love them too much!  And despite the fact that they are more "academically advanced" in homeschool than in public school, that is not our main reason for doing it. My main reason is the faith building and family bonding along with teaching them first and foremost to be responsible and compassionate people that makes it the only choice for us. 

Quoting MedicMommy2:

OMG are you living my life??? That is word for word what happened with us. WIth us they not only failed him they wanted to test him for special ed...so we went and had him privately tested and his IQ is in the top 2% and he was obviously bored. In one month we have done half a semester worth of work and he will start 1st grade in a few months. We use a program though. I withdrew him after usless talks about why they wouldn't excuse his hospitalization.....since you know I planned it.

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

I am homeschooling primarily because the ps my son was attending was a joke. Ds went into kindergarten at a 1st grade level. He was acting out due to boredom and even with me talking to school faculty numerous times they failed to realize ds was advanced and kept using the excuse "he is a new 5" to justify his behavior instead of listening to me. I finally had the last straw when I got ds' report card and saw they had failed him on nearly everything! When asked why they explained it was because he had 10.5 absences in 2 quarters of school. All absences were excused because they were for dr apts (got dr notes) for health conditions the school was fully aware he had prior to the school year starting. I tried for a week to speak with someone to no prevail so I withdrew him. The day I withdrew him I realized the true ignorance of the school when the principal and counselor told me "we get a lot of home school kids in here and they are always behind, there is such a huge gap between them and their peers" which i know darn good and well is total bs.  

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

We homeschooled from the beginning. My kids have never been to a "regular" school.

My husband was homeschooled and loved it. The difference in the quality of our educations is so pronounced that I wanted to make sure our kids got the best education that we could provide for them and for us that meant homeschooling.

They are able to learn at their own pace and explore their interests with no deadlines. They get to be kids for as long as possible, not being forced to grow up like the kids in our public schools.

Basically, it is the best choice for our family and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Hills316
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quoting Danielle163:

My DD was pulled out of ps two years ago (2/3 of the way through first grade) due to bullying/social problems.  We believe that she has a mild case of Aspergers and think that contributed to her difficulties.  When I first removed her, I actually thought that she might be able to return (she's an only child and we have very few resources here in our one-horse town). But two years into our hs ride, I've come to the conclusion that there is no place in ps for children like DD (she doesn't have a mean bone in her body). 

Exact same thing with our daughter, except she was in kindergarten. Private school wouldn't take her due to the "PDD-NOS" which they later decided was Aspergers. Tried public school for kindergarten because everyone insisted that aspergers kids needed "socialization", and pulled her out in the last month of school. Not only was she not learning anything and not making "friends", she was regressing with her sensory issues, etc.....  If socializing means being so overwhelmed you don't know how to function, or learning inappropriate social behaviors from immature peers, then i think she can due without it.  We don't "teach" kids how to play a sport by just throwing them onto the football field during a big game and say "learn as you go, it will make you tough". So why would we "socialize" our kids by throwing them into an overwhelming, chaotic environment without first teaching them how to be their own people and not be susceptible to all the poor social skills modeled around them.  Our daughters most obvious "PDD" issues have almost disappeared since we began homeschooling. She's a million times better and she gets along with her peers much better too!!!.... when she is only put into "classroom/peer" situations (ie soccor practice, choir, sunday school) for a couple hours at a time she can actually function better and practice the APPROPRIATE social skills we have taught her.

AeonReflux
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Quoting hellfur58:

I'm thinking about homeschooling however I'm trying to figure out how I can homeschool and go to college full-time. It won't matter anyway until my junior year of college but I'm also looking at the financial aspect of if it is affordable. I've found my Islamic Studies/Arabic curriculum it's the other subjects I need to be concerned about.  I want our kids to have a good religous foundation as well as good science and math foundation.  Problem is most of the curriculum out there is Christian based and we're Muslims.  I am curious about how if you homeschool your kids are exposed to germs and bulid up their immune systems.  Probably I'll put our son in the preschool at our Islamic school which will make it easier on me for studying.  I plan on buying land in three years and building a house on that land and will be putting a classroom in my home as well as I won't let my kids go to public school.  I want to be able to keep our religion and culture intact, be able to control the curriculum and what they learn, be able to instill morals and values that we believe in, I don't like all the 'state testing' that allows zero room for failure/flexiblity, I don't want our kids being bullied by their teachers/classmates, I don't like all the gun violence, drugs, premarital sex, drinking, smoking, cutting class, gangs in schools now.  I don't like how teachers can't be creative in their lesson plans.  Those are why I am leaning more and more towards homeschool.

That sucks :( I am Christian, and I've noticed it's even getting harder to find secular homeschooling materials! I can't imagine trying to find Muslim curriculum. But you know, a lot of people who stay-at-home and blog and all that stuff end up creating their own curriculum. Maybe you could look into doing that, or find someone online who has done that?

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

marshallmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I attending a one room schoolhouse for 7 years (where I met my hubby :) ) and after the school closed my parents put us in a private school.  We never adapted to a big school and our grades dropped and my brothers, sisters and I just struggled.  They pulled us out and we started thriving again and loved being homeschooled.  My mom homeschooled all 5 of us until we graduated. 

Quoting mem82:

Just out of curiosity, why were you homeschooled?

Quoting marshallmommy:

I was homeschooled and loved it and I knew I would homeschool my own children.   My husband was totally on board with it, not to mention his work schedule would make it so he would only see her one day a week and that just did not work with us.  We also like to look at how many years we have with our children, and we want to enjoy every moment with our kids and not have them in school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  It works well for us, and we are very involved with our co-op and play groups and sports so my children get lots of interaction.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

neat!

Quoting marshallmommy:

I attending a one room schoolhouse for 7 years (where I met my hubby :) ) and after the school closed my parents put us in a private school.  We never adapted to a big school and our grades dropped and my brothers, sisters and I just struggled.  They pulled us out and we started thriving again and loved being homeschooled.  My mom homeschooled all 5 of us until we graduated. 

Quoting mem82:

Just out of curiosity, why were you homeschooled?

Quoting marshallmommy:

I was homeschooled and loved it and I knew I would homeschool my own children.   My husband was totally on board with it, not to mention his work schedule would make it so he would only see her one day a week and that just did not work with us.  We also like to look at how many years we have with our children, and we want to enjoy every moment with our kids and not have them in school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  It works well for us, and we are very involved with our co-op and play groups and sports so my children get lots of interaction.

mrstheriault
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

i will be homeschooling. the main reasons that come to mind, in no particular order are:

avoiding sickness

avoiding bullying

avoiding peer pressure

making sure my child is learning and not just getting by

being able to be a part of their learning

easier schedule

no unjust teachers

bad public schools

lots of threats and lockdowns in local schools, as well as missing children. 

basically all the reasons i wanted to be homeschooled as a child. if my child looks me in the eye and says they want to go to a public school, i will get them enrolled. if they look me in the eye and say they want to have school at home, (esp. if they decided to try public) i will of course make it happen. 

globalhorse45
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • I do not like how public schooling has gone down hill since when I was a kid
  • Able to control the curriculum and what they learn
  • I don't like all the 'teach to the tests' that is going on throughout the nation
  • From what I have read homeschooled kids do better on tests and are better socialized/better prepared for college then their PS counterparts
  • They're able to learn what interests them
  • Keep them from being bullied and ridiculed due our lifestyle and how we dress (I was bullied as a child and hated going to school.  I don't want that for my kids)
  • Since I'll be having a farm I'll need them to help me with the livestock and everything and they can learn responsiblity through that
  • If we want to travel we can do that whenever whereas if they were in public school we would have to wait for the breaks
  • Able to take breaks whenever needed/whenever we want
gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

There is a long list of reasons why I chose to home school my kids. First being is all the bullying, and harassment from not just the students but the staff members as well.  Another is I felt there was a lack of educational instruction from the teachers, and I know now that my kids can grow to excellence from the one on one time that they will recieve. Every child deserves to learn without the worry from being bullied or neglected educationally.  Both of my kids are very happy each day, and when they are happy so am I.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN