Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to do or not to do? (updated a little)

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm trying to teach our 4yr old at home right now and I don't know if I'm cut our for this! My patients isn't that great :-(  - we also have a 2yr old and a 10 1/2 month old!

I would love to do it but if it's going to be harder on our daughter and myself then I don't think it is really worth it. I was home schooled and my mom made it look so easy (and she did 3 different grades at a time!) I'm wondering if being in a bigger house with a real place to do school instead of on the table where we have to put everything in a drawer out of site will help.

UPDATE: (so I think I left some things out so I though I'd update a little and add some more ;))

We do school every other day for about an hr and we do fun pages like coloring things that start with a certain letter or we practice writing a letter. She wants to do school and can't wait for her sister to take a nap! She can draw a lot of shapes and likes to make pictures, she can write her name, sisters name, brothers name, mommy, daddy, gramma, papa!

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later) but she can do it on her own if she wants days later :-( trying really hard to be patient with her.

She will be 5 in April!!!

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

It was a period of transition when I started homeschooling my dd at 4-1/2. She was not used to "doing" school at all, and she had absolutely no attention span for it. I'd suggest you keep it very simple at first, do most of it orally, allow movement, minimize workbook work, and read fun books. A 4yo does not need more than 1 hour of schooling per day. Just do FUN stuff and tell her it is school and gradually add more academic work. Before you know it, you will be surprised at how far she really has come.

BTW my dd is 9 now, and we are in our 5th year of homeschooling. She is an advanced reader and is on level or above in her other subjects. It is hard to believe that she couldn't even sit still for me to read a complete picture book to her when we started!

AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is only 4, you are likely trying to do too much.  Learning should be fun, especially at 4.  There should not be seat work, or busy work that has you sitting down from this time to this time.  Sit on the couch and read together, get some crayons and color together going over colors, learning is about absorbing information, not seeing how much you can get accomplished in one day.

kittyfaery
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Maybe its her age? My 4 year is really stubborn about learning from me but I catch him other times. Like the letter of the day was e on sesame street yesterday and he was sitting there making the noise to himself. I pretended I didn't hear. When I try to do it he shuts down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Just have fun with her you will see her learn & love it!

harream
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

We do school every other day for about an hr and we do fun pages like coloring things that start with a certain letter or we practice writing a letter. She wants to do school and can't wait for her sister to take a nap! She can draw a lot of shapes and likes to make pictures, she can write her name, sisters name, brothers name, mommy, daddy, gramma, papa!

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later) but she can do it on her own if she wants days later :-( trying really hard to be patient with her.

She will be 5 in April!!!

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

shes only 4 so maybe shes not ready for some of the stuff you wana do?

ask your mom for help!

include your other kids into also, read to them, play, scribble on large paper, do some easy art stuff, get them use to you reading to them,  run around, dance, teach them some songs, poems, or verses, have fun!! put the numbers and letters, colors  on the wall(large) have everyone involved as much as possible, and go through the letters and numbers and colors, point to things that are the colors , its fun when everyone is involved and less stressful,

hang in there, its well worth it!

harream
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas. She is almost 5 and loves school and wants to do it :-) she colors all the time (both girls do) she know her numbers, letters, colors, shapes, songs, and can write half a dozen names. We read all the time and dance to their music and they both love to play games on our Wii (about once or twice a wk).

I do school work with her every other day when she doesn't take a nap so that we can focus on writing the letter of the day and coloring things that start with that letter! Beter for me if I have at least the 10 month old sleeping

As for asking my mom, not sure I'm up for that. When we talk about the kids and things I'm trying to do she makes me feel like I'm 10 cause the way I do it isn't the way she did it. But my kids so different then we were growing up and I've had to choose other methods to do thing :-( I would love to but I think other advice would help right now!!!

Quoting oredeb:

shes only 4 so maybe shes not ready for some of the stuff you wana do?

ask your mom for help!

include your other kids into also, read to them, play, scribble on large paper, do some easy art stuff, get them use to you reading to them,  run around, dance, teach them some songs, poems, or verses, have fun!! put the numbers and letters, colors  on the wall(large) have everyone involved as much as possible, and go through the letters and numbers and colors, point to things that are the colors , its fun when everyone is involved and less stressful,

hang in there, its well worth it!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

If she is only 4, you are likely trying to do too much.  Learning should be fun, especially at 4.  There should not be seat work, or busy work that has you sitting down from this time to this time.  Sit on the couch and read together, get some crayons and color together going over colors, learning is about absorbing information, not seeing how much you can get accomplished in one day.

Excellent information from Autumn Dreamer.  Studies show that children learn best while at play and real life experiences..

AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Quoting harream:

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later)

My daughter is 11, and still does this.  Especially when she is learning somethign new.  You have to remember that her brain will only retain something for so long until it is ingrained into it, and that takes time.  Even the public schools review last years work at the beginning of the new school year b/c they know how much kids forget over the summer vacation.

When she can't remember, just show her again.

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans and 3 Dogs
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

harream
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

Quoting harream:

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later)

My daughter is 11, and still does this.  Especially when she is learning something new.  You have to remember that her brain will only retain something for so long until it is ingrained into it, and that takes time.  Even the public schools review last years work at the beginning of the new school year b/c they know how much kids forget over the summer vacation.

When she can't remember, just show her again.

I do show her and then if its writing letters I'll do some dots for her trace and then she'll do some on her own and if she has problems we'll go over it again with more dots and she'll do some perfect then we'll take a break and do something fun and then go back to it and she'll do one good then get side tracked and then it's like we are starting over and hadn't done it all that day :-(  I think it's more frustrating when she'll use the letter in the word and she does good but then we practice it so she knows the right way it's like she's never written the letter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)