Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

to do or not to do? (updated a little)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm trying to teach our 4yr old at home right now and I don't know if I'm cut our for this! My patients isn't that great :-(  - we also have a 2yr old and a 10 1/2 month old!

I would love to do it but if it's going to be harder on our daughter and myself then I don't think it is really worth it. I was home schooled and my mom made it look so easy (and she did 3 different grades at a time!) I'm wondering if being in a bigger house with a real place to do school instead of on the table where we have to put everything in a drawer out of site will help.

UPDATE: (so I think I left some things out so I though I'd update a little and add some more ;))

We do school every other day for about an hr and we do fun pages like coloring things that start with a certain letter or we practice writing a letter. She wants to do school and can't wait for her sister to take a nap! She can draw a lot of shapes and likes to make pictures, she can write her name, sisters name, brothers name, mommy, daddy, gramma, papa!

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later) but she can do it on her own if she wants days later :-( trying really hard to be patient with her.

She will be 5 in April!!!

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-15):
AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Like I said, my daughter at 11 still does this, not with writing, but with math.  If you get it into your head that it could take her a year before she does it without thinking then you are less likely to get frustrated.

Quoting harream:

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

Quoting harream:

I get frusterated when I tell her to do something and show her and she does it several times then its like she's never done it and we are starting all over (even if its only 5 min later)

My daughter is 11, and still does this.  Especially when she is learning something new.  You have to remember that her brain will only retain something for so long until it is ingrained into it, and that takes time.  Even the public schools review last years work at the beginning of the new school year b/c they know how much kids forget over the summer vacation.

When she can't remember, just show her again.

I do show her and then if its writing letters I'll do some dots for her trace and then she'll do some on her own and if she has problems we'll go over it again with more dots and she'll do some perfect then we'll take a break and do something fun and then go back to it and she'll do one good then get side tracked and then it's like we are starting over and hadn't done it all that day :-(  I think it's more frustrating when she'll use the letter in the word and she does good but then we practice it so she knows the right way it's like she's never written the letter.

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans and 3 Dogs
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

She is only 4 yrs old.  I never tried any kind of "school" until mine were around 6.  Honestly the good Lord made your child to learn through play and interaction with you.  By her coloring, doing puzzles, educational type games, you reading, ect..  She will get all she needs!  I have home educated many yrs (all have graduated now but one) and I promise you that you don't need to worry about it at this age. Let her enjoy being a kid :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Quoting usmom3:

Just have fun with her you will see her learn & love it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I would try a Good Behavior chart. A star for everytime she completes a task or whatever. As long as you aren't pushing her too hard and if she is only doing it for a little while, I see no harm in her 'schooling'. 8) Good luck!

Also, some kids need a choice. Like if you want her to write ABC and she is refusing, maybe take a new approach. Say, 'Okay, you don't have to write ABC but that also means you aren't watching XYZ today. It's your choice and I respect it.' Just be really calm about it. It will keep you from being Drill Sargent Mama and give her some control. Some days, she might take the I'm not doing it route, but she'll come around. 8)

harream
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Thanks :-) we do a chart and she loves it when she can put a check mark next to what she's done :-) I'll try changing it a little or adding to it when I need to!

Quoting mem82:

I would try a Good Behavior chart. A star for everytime she completes a task or whatever. As long as you aren't pushing her too hard and if she is only doing it for a little while, I see no harm in her 'schooling'. 8) Good luck!

Also, some kids need a choice. Like if you want her to write ABC and she is refusing, maybe take a new approach. Say, 'Okay, you don't have to write ABC but that also means you aren't watching XYZ today. It's your choice and I respect it.' Just be really calm about it. It will keep you from being Drill Sargent Mama and give her some control. Some days, she might take the I'm not doing it route, but she'll come around. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN