Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finding it hard to give out bad grades

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 12 Replies

Does anyone else find it hard to give out less than perfect grades? I was grading a Math quiz today that one got a 70% and the other a 50%. Looking at their work you can tell it isn't because they can't do the multiplication it is because they rushed their work and messed up when adding:/ It was very hard for me to grade it as is instead of having them correct their mistakes before recording the grade. Of course I had them look it over once it was graded...but putting down an F for Jake was very hard for me to do.

What do you do when you are doing test/quizzes/homework that they don't do so well on?

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kenre
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Havent got there yet. I dont know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

If I find the kids making mistakes like the ones you did, I make them redo, sometimes twice, if the mistakes were just laziness. The best thing about homeschool, for us, is that I never have to put down that F, permanently. We stay on something until it's mastered. 8)

mynameismuerte
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't keep grades.  I do keep track of progress, but no specific grades.  We don't move onto the next skill before one is mastered or at least nearly mastered.

In all honesty, you said you know he knows the multiplication so why should he get a failing grade if he knows something? If I really thought the child knew the information but was rushing through it I would make them either do the whole thing over again or at the very least the ones they got wrong.  If they flat out didn't know the information they were being quizzed on I would be reviewing it/teaching it again.  

Are you doing an online school? Or are these just grades for your own records?

KirstieRenee
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I havent exactly had this experience...I had to go back to work fulltime, my kids are in school at the moment..however, it seems like if you talked about the bad grades....had a discussion with them as to what they thought went wrong and then gave them a retest on the same thing with different examples and see if they improved...you could even average the two scores together and praise them for any improvements.  We teach so they will learn...not so they can just be graded...if they improve then the instruction is working....in my humble...non homeschooling at the moment :(  opinion....lol

oredeb
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

we do it over together

101stwife
by Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The grades are for my own records. I guess I am having a hard time getting away from the way the school does things. I guess I also think if someone were to want to check the records it would look awfully suspicious for them to have all 100%. I am not sure that homeschooling is something that we will do forever and if and when I put them back in public school I would like for them to see what we have been doing and how they have improved over the course of home school.

I took my boys out because they are not on grade level with reading and one of them not in math as well. One of their teachers was very skeptical that I could do a better job than the school to the point I am determined to show them that I can. I know that my boys are smart, I know that with one on one attention they can improve in the areas that they are behind in.

It is hard to give them a bad grade in something epecially when I know that they know the information. However, I also want them to learn that it is important not to rush through things, that when you rush you make mistakes. I hope that by seeing the grade that they got it will make them understand. Of course they will have to correct the problems that they got wrong and if they genuinely don't understand the problem we will stay on that topic until they do.

lucsch
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I did the grade thing with my two boys, and it about drove me crazy. With my dd, we don't do grades, but we  always redo until she "gets" it. Grades are more for others, not the child. I don't need them, as I already know what my dd knows so I don't even give quizzes and tests. She is learning on a continuum of knowledge. When she is ready, we move on to the "next" thing.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I promised my oldest when we first started to homeschool that we would not use grades or test, so we don't have that problem.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

If I know that they rushed the work and that's why the grade was so low then I grade it putting the grade in bright ink so they can read it.  Then I talk to them about rushing their work and make them redo it, letting them know if they take their time and do it right the first time then they won't have to do it over again.

If they made the grade because they really didn't know it then I mark the problems they got wrong, but don't assign a grade.  I still talk to them letting them know what we'll have to work on and their weak area's before we move further in that subject.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I give a 1st grade and a corrected grade. I have no putting a big red F on something. They are given one chance to ask for help and make corrections.

If they ask for help they work through it until they get it. If they redo it without help, their 2nd attempt grade is final.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)