Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finding it hard to give out bad grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else find it hard to give out less than perfect grades? I was grading a Math quiz today that one got a 70% and the other a 50%. Looking at their work you can tell it isn't because they can't do the multiplication it is because they rushed their work and messed up when adding:/ It was very hard for me to grade it as is instead of having them correct their mistakes before recording the grade. Of course I had them look it over once it was graded...but putting down an F for Jake was very hard for me to do.

What do you do when you are doing test/quizzes/homework that they don't do so well on?

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Replies (11-12):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I'm facing this with my sixth grader in Algebra.  Rather than "grading" as such, I look at what he is doing (like yours, it's often that he rushes, as he has mild ADD, and doens't pay attention to details).  Our goal is mastery, so what I've been doing is going back over the materials he has trouble with and/or giving enough practice problems so that he can do it on autopilot.  The issue shouldn't be "grade" but "do you really know the material."     

luvthesoap
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don't give grades. FIrst of all, I don't give tests or quizzes. And for daily work. my son does his work. If he misses any, I make him redo the ones that he misses, until he gets them all right. So he gets a 100% on everything.

I don't havre to turn in anything to the school sysyetm, so this works for me.

Betty in Ky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)