Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

questions..please help

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 20 Replies
ive been interested in homeschooling for a couple yrs now. when my oldest was in kindergarten i attempted it but got the complete run around by the 2 school districts within the 2 towns i grew up in, (i dont live in either of those towns now, i moved half hour away) they both kept telling me to goto the other so i just gave up. lately i have been interested again to start the whole process because i just cant stand public school and its getting worse. so can you ladies tell exactly what steps i need to take before starting? i also have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old, and plan to start before my 4 yr old would start kindergarten, which wouldnt be til school yr after next because his birthday is in october, but i would start teaching him right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anity
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM
also, is there a place to get the text books and stuff for pretty cheap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is your oldest? Would you want to follow a certain curriculum, or design it yourself? I would just google "homeschool curriculums" or "homeschool methods." There are so many. There are TONS of books available at the library too. I have also heard wonderful things about a website www.time4learning.com which costs about $20/month and provides a curriculum you can advance through.

anity
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM
she will be 9 in march. i use google often but 1) with some stuff i cant find what im looking for no matter how i word it 2) theres too many results for some that it takes forever to find the right one 3) my only internet access at the moment is my phone, ill have internet on my computer in about a month, and with some sites like google, my phone takes forever to load. so i was just hoping to get some info here til i do have internet on my phone. thank you for replying though. sorry if i sound like im just full excuses, im really not.

Quoting h_minkus:

How old is your oldest? Would you want to follow a certain curriculum, or design it yourself? I would just google "homeschool curriculums" or "homeschool methods." There are so many. There are TONS of books available at the library too. I have also heard wonderful things about a website www.time4learning.com which costs about $20/month and provides a curriculum you can advance through.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Check HSDLA for your local laws before you pull DD. Some states require only a letter of intent. Others require you to use an umbrella or charter school..it varies.

Some curriculums are fairly inexpensive. It just depends on what you want.

There are a lot of links and into in the pinned post. I suggest starting by finding the lerning styles of your kids and going from there. For math do you want spiral (learnig lil bits of everything, rotating through and then learning bits more) or mastery (totally grasping one thing then moving on woth review). Math U see is mastery and is about $100 per year per level but you would only need to buy a student book for the younger child. You could even avoid that by puttinh the pages in a sheet protector and using dry erase on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I totally understand! I'm just getting started too, but I only have a Kindergartner, so I'm not doing too much yet. But yeah, I know exactly how it is. I use a ton of stuff from the library and online. But free worksheets aren't exactly as effective for a 9 yr old as they are for a 5 yr old. ;)

Quoting anity:

she will be 9 in march. i use google often but 1) with some stuff i cant find what im looking for no matter how i word it 2) theres too many results for some that it takes forever to find the right one 3) my only internet access at the moment is my phone, ill have internet on my computer in about a month, and with some sites like google, my phone takes forever to load. so i was just hoping to get some info here til i do have internet on my phone. thank you for replying though. sorry if i sound like im just full excuses, im really not.

Quoting h_minkus:

Hannah

Work from home LDS mom of 2 crazy little boys   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

anity
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM
thank you for the replies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The first step is to understand your State's Laws (each State is different).  Home School Associations often provide you that information for free on their websites. They also provide workshops (home school is not the class room)

The second is to connet with home educators near you.  They will provide you assistance with the laws, support, field trips, co-ops and more

This article will provide you that information, different home school methods, grade level requirements and much more:

How To Home School

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

A good idea might be to check out yahoo! groups for homeschoolers in your area. YMCAs and parks often have homeschool classes, too. Get in contact with them, or even go sit in for a few classes and talk to the moms to find resources near you.

Do you want a box curriculum that has the lessons planned out for you?

K12 is an online school ran by the state that many people like.

Charlotte Mason is VERY literature and book based, so many kids who like to read, really grow with this type of learning.

I'm ecletic and just mix everything and everything including books, workbooks, printable, whatever I find into a big pile of learning. 8)

Amazon, Half.com, and if you know specifically what book you want Half Price Books are all good places to find curriculum and books. Also, I believe it's called LakeShore Teacher Supplies. It has lots of ideas, science supplies and manipulatives. I'm cheap so I try to find things online, get the idea, and then make it myself.

Amirah786
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I'm not sure where you live but if you want to homeschool, you need to contact your county's Board of Education. Each county is supposed to have someone in charge of homeschool and they should be able to send you out a packet with useful information as well as the forms you will need such as your intent to homeschool and your attendance sheets.

There are also many affordable books at thrift stores that I was able to purchase for my kids and if you want to buy brand new, Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon.com and even EBAY are all great places to look too. Besides K12, a public virtual school that you do at home with your child with internet, there is another school that may be available to you called Connections Academy. Both are considered Public schools and therefore all books, even a computer will be provided for you through your taxpayer dollars. They have excellent curriculums and take the hard out of sending in attendance papers every month. You simply click a button to enter attendance for the day. You can even count in Health and Physical Education time and extra hours for supplemental classes, such as teaching them another language. It really all depends on what is going to be easiest for you and what kind of time commitment you have for it. i have 5 kids.....We've done K12 and Connections and now I'm back to just Homeschooling. Online schools are great but I only have 1 PC and it takes all day for my kids to get done with the computer. I have a 6th grader, a 4rth grader, my 4rth grader's twin was kept in 3rd grade due to a possible reading disability, and a kindergardner. And my 3 yr old whose bout to be 4 is pre-k....SO I'm very busy....and Homeschooling allows me to be more flexible. But the first step is to find out your states laws.....I don't have to start homeschooling here in Georgia until my child is 6....which is so weird because I've always started teaching since 2 yrs old....Just makes it easier on the child if learning is a normal part of life...and fun at the same time!!!! But it definitely gives them an excellent head start!!!! I wish you all the best and hope it helps....please keep us posted as to your progress and I'm open for conversations about homeschool ANYTIME.......GOOD LUCK!!!

anity
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM
does it cost to get started or continuosly(sp?) cost for either of those 2 programs? i would love to try them. and, is 6 the age when your kids have to be in school by whether its homeschooling or public school? i know in here kids dont have to be put in kindergarten til 7.

Quoting Amirah786:

I'm not sure where you live but if you want to homeschool, you need to contact your county's Board of Education. Each county is supposed to have someone in charge of homeschool and they should be able to send you out a packet with useful information as well as the forms you will need such as your intent to homeschool and your attendance sheets.

There are also many affordable books at thrift stores that I was able to purchase for my kids and if you want to buy brand new, Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon.com and even EBAY are all great places to look too. Besides K12, a public virtual school that you do at home with your child with internet, there is another school that may be available to you called Connections Academy. Both are considered Public schools and therefore all books, even a computer will be provided for you through your taxpayer dollars. They have excellent curriculums and take the hard out of sending in attendance papers every month. You simply click a button to enter attendance for the day. You can even count in Health and Physical Education time and extra hours for supplemental classes, such as teaching them another language. It really all depends on what is going to be easiest for you and what kind of time commitment you have for it. i have 5 kids.....We've done K12 and Connections and now I'm back to just Homeschooling. Online schools are great but I only have 1 PC and it takes all day for my kids to get done with the computer. I have a 6th grader, a 4rth grader, my 4rth grader's twin was kept in 3rd grade due to a possible reading disability, and a kindergardner. And my 3 yr old whose bout to be 4 is pre-k....SO I'm very busy....and Homeschooling allows me to be more flexible. But the first step is to find out your states laws.....I don't have to start homeschooling here in Georgia until my child is 6....which is so weird because I've always started teaching since 2 yrs old....Just makes it easier on the child if learning is a normal part of life...and fun at the same time!!!! But it definitely gives them an excellent head start!!!! I wish you all the best and hope it helps....please keep us posted as to your progress and I'm open for conversations about homeschool ANYTIME.......GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)