Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

questions..please help

Posted by   + Show Post
ive been interested in homeschooling for a couple yrs now. when my oldest was in kindergarten i attempted it but got the complete run around by the 2 school districts within the 2 towns i grew up in, (i dont live in either of those towns now, i moved half hour away) they both kept telling me to goto the other so i just gave up. lately i have been interested again to start the whole process because i just cant stand public school and its getting worse. so can you ladies tell exactly what steps i need to take before starting? i also have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old, and plan to start before my 4 yr old would start kindergarten, which wouldnt be til school yr after next because his birthday is in october, but i would start teaching him right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

It looks like every one has given great help so I just want to say that you can do this & that you are your children's best teacher! 

globalhorse45
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Check out http://www.pearsonhomeschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS14Ov or the http://www.hslda.org/ website .  I plan on buying land and building a home in IL so I'll give you what IL requires.

I

LLINOIS

Compulsory Attendance Ages:

“between the ages of 7 and 17 years (unless the child has already

graduated from high school).” 105 Illinois Compiled Statutes

5/26-1.

Required Days of Instruction:

176 days. 105 ILCS § 5/10-19 (Not mandatory for private or home

schools).

Required Subjects:

Instruction must be in the English language. Parents must provide

instruction in the same “branches of education” that children of

“corresponding” age and grade receive in public school. 105 ILCS

5/26-1.1. The statute identifies the branches of education as:

language arts, math, biological, physical and social sciences, fine

arts, and physical development and health. 105 ILCS 5/27-1. The

State Board of Education treats biological and physical science as

one branch, and physical development and health as one

branch. See http://www.isbe.net/homeschool/default.htm.

Home School Statute:

None.

Alternative Statutes Allowing for Home Schools:

105 ILCS § 5/26-1. If a child is “attending a private or a parochial school where children are taught

the branches of education taught to children of corresponding age and grade in public schools, and

where the instruction of the child in the branches of education is in the English language” the child

shall not be required to attend public school and the child is in compliance with Illinois compulsory

attendance law. Home schools that meet these two requirements are considered legal private schools.

People v. Levisen, 404 Ill. 574, 90 N.E.2d 213 (1950) is a landmark case which held that a home

school is a private school. A private school is “a place where instruction is imparted to the young …

the number of persons being taught does not determine whether a place is a school.” 404 Ill. at 576,

90 N.E.2d at 215. The Illinois Supreme Court emphasized the right of parents to control their

children’s education: “Compulsory education laws are enacted to enforce the natural obligations of

parents to provide an education for their young, an obligation which corresponds to the parents’ right

of control over the child. (Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 400.) The object is that all shall be

educated not that they shall be educated in any particular manner or place.” Levisen, 404 Ill. at 577,

90 N.E.2d at 215.

The Levisen decision noted that once a truancy action has been filed against the parents in court,

they must come forward with evidence to show that they are in compliance with the law.

“Registration” and “recognition.” Public school systems often demand that homeschoolers register

their private school with the Illinois State Board of Education. Registration involves submitting

Illinois

IL-2

Copyright 2011-2012, HSLDA, all rights reserved. May be reproduced only by permission.

THIS ANALYSIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE GIVING OF LEGAL ADVICE.

Call or write to receive a free copy of HSLDA’s newsletter and membership application.

P.O. Box 3000

· Purcellville, VA 20134 · Phone: (540) 338-5600 · Fax: (540) 338-2733 · Website:

www.hslda.org

certain basic information annually. However, the statute that permits most private schools to register

specifically does not permit “home-based” private schools to register. See 105 ILCS 5/2-3.25o(e).

Even for schools that are permitted to register under the statute, however, registration is strictly

voluntary. State “recognition” can be obtained if specified additional requirements are met, but

“recognition” is not available to “home-based” private schools.

HB 1726 (enacted in 1989) removed the Department of Children & Family Services’ authority to

investigate truancy. Only the school district investigates truancy. 325 ILCS 5/4, unnumbered

paragraph 14 and 5/3, definition of “neglected child”: “A child shall not be considered neglected or

abused solely because the child is not attending school …”

Teacher Qualifications:

None.

Standardized Tests:

Not required by statute.

Religious Freedom Act:

775 ILCS 35/1 et seq.

Education Tax Credit Available to Homeschools in Illinois:

Illinois law allows homeschool families a

tax credit for educational expenses under certain circumstances. For more information, see:

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Individuals/Credits/educationexpensecredit.htm

and http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Pubs/PUB-119.pdf.

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Check with your states laws on homeschooling first.  In most states all that is required is a letter of intent, in others there are more rules like having to use a charter school and so forth.  As for the curriculum, well there are different price ranges available.  There is a website called the back pack in which you can get a full curriculum with or without the teachers manual, and they sometimes buy back or let you trade your books.  You could also go to any book store like Books A Million and purchase a membership in which you can obtain just about any workbook needed to complete your curriculum for a cheaper price.  These workbooks meet the states standards for teaching.  You can also go to websites like http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/   and print off lots of worksheets for multiple subjects.  Once you have your homeschool up and running then you can go to http://www.scholastic.com/ and use your school name to sign up for the book clubs, here you will earn bonus points from every order to get free merchandise to use educationally.  There are stores like hobby lobby that carry a large supply of educational tools like project supplies and experiments very cheaply. 

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM

some good advice!! be sure to have fun with the kids and you dont have to do it the way the public schools do!!

anity
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM
thank you everyone, this is very helpful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amirah786
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quoting anity:

does it cost to get started or continuosly(sp?) cost for either of those 2 programs? i would love to try them. and, is 6 the age when your kids have to be in school by whether its homeschooling or public school? i know in here kids dont have to be put in kindergarten til 7.

Quoting Amirah786:

I'm not sure where you live but if you want to homeschool, you need to contact your county's Board of Education. Each county is supposed to have someone in charge of homeschool and they should be able to send you out a packet with useful information as well as the forms you will need such as your intent to homeschool and your attendance sheets.

There are also many affordable books at thrift stores that I was able to purchase for my kids and if you want to buy brand new, Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon.com and even EBAY are all great places to look too. Besides K12, a public virtual school that you do at home with your child with internet, there is another school that may be available to you called Connections Academy. Both are considered Public schools and therefore all books, even a computer will be provided for you through your taxpayer dollars. They have excellent curriculums and take the hard out of sending in attendance papers every month. You simply click a button to enter attendance for the day. You can even count in Health and Physical Education time and extra hours for supplemental classes, such as teaching them another language. It really all depends on what is going to be easiest for you and what kind of time commitment you have for it. i have 5 kids.....We've done K12 and Connections and now I'm back to just Homeschooling. Online schools are great but I only have 1 PC and it takes all day for my kids to get done with the computer. I have a 6th grader, a 4rth grader, my 4rth grader's twin was kept in 3rd grade due to a possible reading disability, and a kindergardner. And my 3 yr old whose bout to be 4 is pre-k....SO I'm very busy....and Homeschooling allows me to be more flexible. But the first step is to find out your states laws.....I don't have to start homeschooling here in Georgia until my child is 6....which is so weird because I've always started teaching since 2 yrs old....Just makes it easier on the child if learning is a normal part of life...and fun at the same time!!!! But it definitely gives them an excellent head start!!!! I wish you all the best and hope it helps....please keep us posted as to your progress and I'm open for conversations about homeschool ANYTIME.......GOOD LUCK!!!

Both of those programs are free in most states, you have to see if they are available where you live. They are considered Virtual Public Schools. Here in Georgia, 6 is the age for homeschooling and age 5 by September 1rst for public schools.  The links are www.k12.com and www.connectionsacademy.com. If you can't click on them just copy and paste to your browser and they usually have information for new parents who are interested inlearning more about them. They also will be able to tell you what programs are available in your city and state. Wow, 7 sounds so late to be starting a child in Kindergarten but every state is different I guess. Where are you located?

anity
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM
im in oregon. the age to start kindergarten is 5 by sept. 1, but just cant start them any later than 7.

Quoting Amirah786:

Quoting anity:

does it cost to get started or continuosly(sp?) cost for either of those 2 programs? i would love to try them. and, is 6 the age when your kids have to be in school by whether its homeschooling or public school? i know in here kids dont have to be put in kindergarten til 7.

Quoting Amirah786:

I'm not sure where you live but if you want to homeschool, you need to contact your county's Board of Education. Each county is supposed to have someone in charge of homeschool and they should be able to send you out a packet with useful information as well as the forms you will need such as your intent to homeschool and your attendance sheets.

There are also many affordable books at thrift stores that I was able to purchase for my kids and if you want to buy brand new, Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon.com and even EBAY are all great places to look too. Besides K12, a public virtual school that you do at home with your child with internet, there is another school that may be available to you called Connections Academy. Both are considered Public schools and therefore all books, even a computer will be provided for you through your taxpayer dollars. They have excellent curriculums and take the hard out of sending in attendance papers every month. You simply click a button to enter attendance for the day. You can even count in Health and Physical Education time and extra hours for supplemental classes, such as teaching them another language. It really all depends on what is going to be easiest for you and what kind of time commitment you have for it. i have 5 kids.....We've done K12 and Connections and now I'm back to just Homeschooling. Online schools are great but I only have 1 PC and it takes all day for my kids to get done with the computer. I have a 6th grader, a 4rth grader, my 4rth grader's twin was kept in 3rd grade due to a possible reading disability, and a kindergardner. And my 3 yr old whose bout to be 4 is pre-k....SO I'm very busy....and Homeschooling allows me to be more flexible. But the first step is to find out your states laws.....I don't have to start homeschooling here in Georgia until my child is 6....which is so weird because I've always started teaching since 2 yrs old....Just makes it easier on the child if learning is a normal part of life...and fun at the same time!!!! But it definitely gives them an excellent head start!!!! I wish you all the best and hope it helps....please keep us posted as to your progress and I'm open for conversations about homeschool ANYTIME.......GOOD LUCK!!!

Both of those programs are free in most states, you have to see if they are available where you live. They are considered Virtual Public Schools. Here in Georgia, 6 is the age for homeschooling and age 5 by September 1rst for public schools.  The links are www.k12.com and www.connectionsacademy.com. If you can't click on them just copy and paste to your browser and they usually have information for new parents who are interested inlearning more about them. They also will be able to tell you what programs are available in your city and state. Wow, 7 sounds so late to be starting a child in Kindergarten but every state is different I guess. Where are you located?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

oregon good place to live!!! what part are you in ? im in the northern part

debbie

Quoting anity:

im in oregon. the age to start kindergarten is 5 by sept. 1, but just cant start them any later than 7.
anity
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM
im from the eugene/springfield area, born and raised, but recently moved to Lowell. so far we love it in Lowell.

Quoting oredeb:

oregon good place to live!!! what part are you in ? im in the northern part

debbie

Quoting anity:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amirah786
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting anity:

Quoting Amirah786:

Quoting anity:

Quoting Amirah786:

OK so it looks like both of these programs are available in Oregon for free!!!!!! Yay good news....just log on and see how it goes but if you choose not to do these programs remember, you are your childs best teacher and first university. Children learn sooooo much from their parents naturally...let it work for you. Keep me posted on what you decide.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)