Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

need information please

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Can you start homeschooling in the middle of the school year? Also how do you get started? I have a preschooler and kindergardener by the way. Thanks for reading my post and giving advice

by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frstldyhmsch
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Hey there krisalynn,

Homeschooling can begin anytime of the year (what joy), although most homeschoolers begin around the same time as public schools do, it's your school you can start when you want. You really want to check your state's laws for homeschooling before you begin go to http://www.hslda.org/and find the tab that says state laws (or something like that). If you live in a free homeschool state (no strict laws on homeschooling) then it will be a "snap" for you to begin. On that same website you will fine a link to look for homeschool groups in you area as well as how to get started. I have a homeschool website http://www.jcroots.com/ with a list of site with free resources. I also have a blog for homeschooling. I hope this helps

Blog with me won't you  http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/ Let's talk homeschool stuff  group hug

Danielle163
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Have you checked your state laws yet? Just enter your state with Department of Education and go to homeschooling requirements (or however they word it). Or hslda.org will give your state hs laws. Find out what your state's compulsory age for beginning ( when your children HAVE to be on the books) school is. Usually it is 5 or 6. 

When I removed DD from ps 2/3 of the way through first grade, the supporting teacher just counted up the days of school that were already past and figured that against what is mandatory here in Iowa (148). Example: 100 days of the school year already past would make it so that we had to do 48 more.  I don't know if it is that way in your state.....You will have to check.  I just had to go to the district office.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Absolutely you can.  In fact many start out home schooling right after the Holidays when teachers inform the parents their child won't graduating to the next grade level.

As for how to get started; this article helps you find out about your State laws, techniques that makes home school different from the classroom, resources, grade level requirements and more:

How To Home School

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Good luck!

Kids do well with a 'deschool' time if they are coming out of public school. It's often about a month or two long, depending on how long that child was in PS. Use that time to get yourself set up. 8)

itsrks
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM

You can start anytime. YOur children are still young so it's a great time. As frstidyhmsch mentioned, the first thing you should probably do is see what the legal requirements are in your state. It's usually not a big deal but it's good to know so you can do.

Next, you would want to research different methods of homeschooling to see how you want to conduct your homeschooling. Will you want to be a relaxed homeschooler or a school at home homeschooler etc. Based on that, you would want to explore curriculum.

This may sound like a lot but it's an exciting journey and your children are going to benefit from your investment.

Also, be sure and keep in touch with these types of forums to receive support and to share your journey with others.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I agree with the other Mom's! Good luck!

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

go for it krisalynn!!! have fun!!!

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

You can start just about anytime of the year. First be sure to check with your states laws on homeschooling, some lets you just file a notice of intent letter and others tell you that you have to go through a charter school. You also have to keep all your immunization records, attendance records, all lesson planners on file at your school once established. Every year you need to order a achievement test through one of the testing companies, and the results of this need to be kept on file also. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)