Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

newby

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
I haven't started home schooling yet. My oldest is really struggling and I am thinking of home schooling her next year(5th grade). Just looking for advice and any helpful tips.
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Check your local homeschool laws, file your paperwork and good luck!

What kind of things do you want help with? There are many options out there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Hi Krissygirl.  Like anything it gets easier every year.  Here is an article that will help you locate your State law requirements, home school techniques, resources, what makes home school different from the class room and much more:

How To Home School

krissygirl
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Thanks for responding. I have checked into my state laws(VA). I just need to figure out a curriculum which is a bit overwhelming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Definitely check into your state laws. You can buzz over to hslda.org or just enter your state name with Department of Education. Then you will have quite a few decisions to make. Since your daughter is in 5th and older, you probably know what kind of a learner she is. Like, does she like learning from computer-tutors? You've got  a ton of choices if she does.

Time4Learning-goes up through 8th grade-all 4 subjects-you might want to supplement some-online

Teaching Textbooks-for math-on cd-rom-goes to calculus I believe.

Switched On Schoolhouse-cd-rom-full curriculum-automatic grading and much more--goes all the way to 12th grade.

There are tons of ways to homeschool and no one way is the "right" way. It is just what works for your child. You can go eclectic and pick and choose what curriculum resources you want to use for each subject. Or you can buy a boxed curriculum.  You can go to Calvert.com, or Oak Meadow, or Keystone. Some of these now let you choose to go the online or book route. Or you can unschool (child-led learning).....or some people do like partial unschooling.

You will also need to decide if you want to use secular or religious resources. There are tons of good curriculum either way you want to go. Totally up to you. Are you going to homeschool year round or follow the ps calendar? There are tons of places to buy homeschooling items. Rainbow Resource Center is a great place. They have like 40,000 different learning items. Free shipping on orders over $150.00. I use amazon quite a bit for used books (some as low as $4.00 with shipping included). There is a place called the homeschool buyers coop specifically designed for hs families to buy items at much cheaper prices. The more families that buy a certain item, the more the price goes down. You can also check on ebay for used curriculum.

Good  books to read: Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through  High School (gives good guidelines as to what you should be teaching for each grade, book titles, tips.

Homeschooling For Dummies-A lot of good info.

The Well-Trained Mind--Has really good book lists

The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling

Good luck to your daughter and you!

http://homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

krissygirl
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I am thinking of using Seton. My mom used it with my brother ans sister. I was not homeschooled. I need to go back and re-teach my daughter math. This is the subject she struggles with the most and she is being left behind at school. She attends catholic school now and I absolutely love the school. They are just small and don't have the resources to help her the way she needs to be helped. My other two girls are going to stay at the school because they are doing really well there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I've heard Math you see is a really good curriculum. Good luck!

Quoting krissygirl:

I am thinking of using Seton. My mom used it with my brother ans sister. I was not homeschooled. I need to go back and re-teach my daughter math. This is the subject she struggles with the most and she is being left behind at school. She attends catholic school now and I absolutely love the school. They are just small and don't have the resources to help her the way she needs to be helped. My other two girls are going to stay at the school because they are doing really well there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)