Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

where do you live? (state) and do you use an umbrella group or not?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 38 Replies

And I know there are other options too...so feel free to share the method you are using and for how long and how many kids!

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM

we live in Md...and I am looking into joining an umbrella group to HS my son starting with K in Fall 2012

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM
CA...I use a public charter school for my three kids because DH wants them to go to PS for high school and wants some accountability. He's a box checker ;) I'm lucky I found a school that gives me total flexability on curriculum. It works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wowguildmomma
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

for this year we have been using a rather unconventional approch. we tried just doing lessons but the PS system had done so badly on teaching my oldest 2 with autism so little life skills that we just threw that out the window. Atm we are finishing getting them caught up with being able to do things life skill wise and starting to work in more class curriculum.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I live in Ohio, and I don't need an umbrella school. 8)

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Virginia.

We use several boxed curriculum's and I supplement with my own stuff too.

We use sonlight and mathusee.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

We live in SC. We are third option home schoolers; we use an accountability service (they account for our name and age of our children), but aren't required to do anything else.

We use a mix of textbook, narrative books, and work texts.

We take a rigorous, formal approach to our home school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of my home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I am in Texas & here we are considered privet schools so we don't need umbrella schools.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Ohio, no umbrella. Just reg old homeschool. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I live in CA too and was thinking of doing this. I still need to find out more information about our local charter school. What is an umbrella group?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

CA...I use a public charter school for my three kids because DH wants them to go to PS for high school and wants some accountability. He's a box checker ;) I'm lucky I found a school that gives me total flexability on curriculum. It works for us.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM

We live in North Carolina-  There's no umbrella here, we use a regular homeschool curriculum along with other  sites of my choosing, including http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/  .   I have every type of text books needed for each child for this year and some optional ones to because knowledge is power!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)