Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids have chores?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

What do they do and how old are they?

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Yes. They are 6 & 7.

They are responsible for keeping their rooms clean, cleaning their bathroom, putting away their clothes/putting dirty clothes in the laundry room, helping with the dishes, sweeping/vacuuming, helping keep the house picked up.

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Yup. I made 'helping hands' charts. There are different things that they do, and I rotate the every week. They include sweeping either around the sinning table or their bathroom, wiping down their bathroom sink, taking all the clothes to the wash room (we have a laundry chute, so this one is usually faught over), they empty the garbage from their bathroom into the bigger can in the kitchen. I used velcro on the backs of the chores so its easy to nice them around and no one gets bored. My kids are 6 and 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AeonReflux
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Yessss.

My kids are 4, 3, and 1 and they are all expected to help out around the house. They don't have specific chores yet, but they know how to clean a room! Usually they tackle dirty clothes, garbage, stray diapers, toys, and dishes. Also, I have chihuahuas who perpetually poop in the house - it is always tiny and very solid, thankfully, so my 4-year-old daughter is responsible for picking it up and flushing it. My son tried to take over by sneaking in and cleaning up poop without telling me, but he just pushes it into the carpet :/ LOL So they often fight over the chores.. even the job of cleaning up poop. XD

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Not really. She gets an allowance but it isn't tied to being helpful (money management is more our gig with the allowance).

The only two things she's required to do are 1. take out the recycling and 2. clean her room before bed. Other than that, we ask that she be helpful when asked and be generous with her time.

This morning she asked if she could clean the bathrooms.

Frankly, I've been doused before for the lack of formal chores but I have to say that I'm incredibly happy we've never made anything wholly "mandatory"; she is the most helpful, willing child I've ever met.

She's 10. Our 2 1/2 year old is required to do nothing, but loves to run around wiping after me when I dust and wipe down the under cabinets in the kitchen. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of my home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
My 8 & 5 year old do a few chores. They clean their rooms, put clothes away. Sometimes my 8 year old feeds the cats and scoops out the litter box.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Yes just not a whole lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Mine are 16, 14 and 11 and they have chores every night.  After dinner they clean the house.  They wash, dry and put away dishes (they are not allowed to use the dishwasher) they vacuum, they clean the bathroom, sweeep the kitchen floor, I think that is everything.

I think it is important for kids to understand how much work it is to keep a house clean.  The best way for them to understand it is to have to do it.  They also all do their own laundry, and are responsible for their own rooms.

jhg374
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM

To us, homeschooling is way more than just book knowledge. It is our job as parents, to fully equip our kids to be ready for life.

Our kids are 11, 10, & almost 8. Their jobs rotate every week, but they are expected to clean their rooms every day, and as far as jobs they rotate laundry (washer and dryer switches, folding and putting away), sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom, keeping the wood ring full of wood, and things like that.

Knowing that my kids are learning to appreciate and love work and are practicing working for the Lord is wonderful to us! Yes, I have heard, "that's too much for kids" and "what do YOU do?" But I work right alongside my kids.... making work fun and enjoyable is a precious treasure! 

And I know that their heart is behind what they do and they love to serve when my daughter will set her alarm for 5 in the morning, get up and clean the house just to bless me! (Yeah, you wouldn't have caught me doing that at her age!)

THANK YOU GOD for my kids and the privilage of being their mom!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I completely agree!

Quoting jhg374:

To us, homeschooling is way more than just book knowledge. It is our job as parents, to fully equip our kids to be ready for life.

Our kids are 11, 10, & almost 8. Their jobs rotate every week, but they are expected to clean their rooms every day, and as far as jobs they rotate laundry (washer and dryer switches, folding and putting away), sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom, keeping the wood ring full of wood, and things like that.

Knowing that my kids are learning to appreciate and love work and are practicing working for the Lord is wonderful to us! Yes, I have heard, "that's too much for kids" and "what do YOU do?" But I work right alongside my kids.... making work fun and enjoyable is a precious treasure! 

And I know that their heart is behind what they do and they love to serve when my daughter will set her alarm for 5 in the morning, get up and clean the house just to bless me! (Yeah, you wouldn't have caught me doing that at her age!)

THANK YOU GOD for my kids and the privilage of being their mom!!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Yes. He is 5. His chores are to clean his room, put laundry in the washer, help me put laundry in the dryer, empty is plate into the trash and put his dishes in the sink, clean the windows, picking up his toys, putting his clothes in his container neatly, assist in taking out the garbage, vacuum the area rugs and hallway, holding and emptying the dust pan, and putting his school materials away in their proper spots.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)