Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your kids have chores?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do they do and how old are they?

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Yes they always have except I really don't call them chores, just house work which is part of life.  When they were younger it was more basic stuff like their rooms, vacuuming, picking up here and there.  Now they're ages 7, 9, 10, and 11 so they are all old enough they all can do whatever I can from laundry, dishes, bathroom to anything else that needs to be done.

We assign rooms or specific cleaning duties prior to starting the day for everybody (including myself) and it has to be done before anybody can goof off and enjoy their day.  The older ones know how to cook only a few basic dinners so for now I do the dinners, but they make their own lunches.  My rule of thumb is we all live here so we will all take part in keeping it clean and I don't get paid to do it so neither do they.

britniwheeler
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

My kids NEED chores so bad. We just haven't had the time to facilitate them. My oldest has Autism and it is such a fight to get him to do anything, like for instance even just dressing himself. So I have been a sucker and not made them do chores.

msmed
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM

My kids do have certain chores that they are responsible for: picking up their rooms & sometimes doing the vacuuming, clothes in hamper, helping unload dishwasher, oldest does a lot of his own laundry (I don't think they should go to college expecting their girlfriend or mom to take care of that!), oldest also has trash duty, middle son is in charge of recycling & picking up dog poop in the backyard (fun!).  My youngest (the only girl), aside from taking care of her room, normally does things on a 'mom needs help' basis but looking at her brothers' list, I think we need to make more things her own!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Ugh, I really need to get better at this because I could totally use some help. My 6 yo does help, but nothing set in stone. My 2.5 yo helps kind of, but mainly makes things harder on me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM

yep, the kids always had chores, every week their chore would change, plus whoever was on the kitchen chore would get to sit in the front seat.

we had, kitchen , livingroom, laundry, bathrooms under each heading there was certain things they had to accomplish plus keeping their rooms clean and feed the animals 

buzymom93
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM

my youngest son is 6yrs old and has chores.. he takes out the recycling, cleans his room,  unloads the dishwasher and cleans the cat's litter box.. I actually wouldn't consider cleaning  his room a chore though, since that is just cleaning up after hisself and he should do that anyways... He loves to dust so sometimes he does that too.. lol

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, animal loving boys... Mario, 18yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Of course :)   All of my children started from a young age to do certain things.  As they aged more was added.  When I still had a whole slew of children home the older kids all washed their own clothes plus the clothes of 1 or 2 of the younger kids.  From the age of 7 or so the girls would start taking turns washing dishes, sweeping, mopping, ect..  The boys of course took care of their own rooms, did the trash, vacuumed, and did outside chores.  As soon as they were big enough they helped dad with loading and stacking firewood. They also took care of all the outside animals.  This all helped with a large household but built great work ethics in the children.  All are grown and gone now but two of them.  No, they never received an allowance.  Their work was just part of being a family. We all work together for our family and home :)

McIntiremomma3
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM
My 5 year old was the one that asked me for them he said he wanted to help out more so total he puts away his clean clothes keeps his room clean bed made bathroom in order feeds our two dogs and waters them and takes out the trash I'm so proud of my big boy and my 1 yr old picks up her toys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McIntiremomma3
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I'm proud of my baby girl to she picking up on how to keep her room clean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Yes, both of them help out around the house. The oldest sometimes gripes, yet gets it done. The youngest loves to help out, anything from helping with laundry to helping stir things in the kitchen at the table.  In my opinion they are never to young to start learning things that they will take with them when they are older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)