Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling with a fussy Infant ???

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

Our homeschooling schedule was switched to accomodate my prescribed bed rest and the birth of our daughter. We took off nearly 2 months for winter vacation for the event.  My school-aged daugher (1st grade) was significantly ahead of her public-schooled peers and we figured we could use an extra month in the summer if needed. But our 2 months is over and my newborn is over 2 weeks old so its time we get back to work.  The problem is, my baby cries like crazy(and super loudly) the second she is put down (even if she was sleeping at the time) and its hard to get anything done carrying her around.  I have a moby wrap that works occasionally during her nap times, but if she's awake we can just forget it. 

Any creative ideas for handling this and getting some school work done????  I would feel awful if my older daughter had to lisen to so much crying and fussing when trying to get work done.

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Have you tried swaddling or perhaps a different type of carrier/wrap?  I had to try several before we found one my youngest liked. I would also try laying the baby in different positions or even in a car seat or swing for part of the schooling time.

AeonReflux
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I think the only thing you can probably do is start training your kids to work independantly and set them up in a different room with their schoolwork. I didn't homeschool when my second child was a baby, but I can only imagine what he would have been like....lol. This is just a phase you may have to power through, especially if this baby is the "crying" one.

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My daughter, Nikki, is four months old and is also a high needs baby. I feel your pain! A lot of my older kids work got done sitting next to me on the couch while I held the baby. It's hard but in a few months, it does get better. Concentrate on the basics, Math and Reading. Also, utilize videos and youtube to teach some sciences and music. Hang in there!

Aleshad01
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Do you have a swing? My kids always liked to swing.
Mickey37
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I feel your pain!!  I have a 7mo, 2yo, 6yo, 11yo and 13yo.  HS is on a set schedule so we get it done at all.  We sit down and pray at 9am (usually asking God to help us focus LOL) and then I have a written schedule of seatwork the older ones can do that I've made (on the weekend while Daddy takes them outside).  I then let the 6yo and 2yo play until Mommy's ready to do school w/them.  Over the past 5months, that's included bringing books to the sofa so I can nurse while teach my 6yo, wearing the baby and doing math while standing (son thought this was very fun) waiting for nap time to do seat work that Mommy nedded to do with him and even while laying on the bed nursing, my 6yo has done reading with me at the same time.  It was a tough time, but the baby and toddler have settled into a routine now so it's a lot easier!  Good luck to you!!!   My 6yo cried a lot as a baby too, and I remember how frazzled I felt.  HUGS!!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM
I'm due in June, and baby will be approx 2 months when we start back to school, so I'm following this post. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

fantastic advice! i always kept my babies with me also when i homeschooled with one of those wrap thingys, also used the swing and a playpen in the same room we homeschooled.

what happens if you lay your baby down when shes sleeping already? can you just let her cry it out? that worked with some of mine,

i put some soft music on so they'd be use to noise in the back ground

Hills316
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM

she crys very intensely when laid down. if she was sleeping already she usually wakes up.  :(  ive let her cry for up to ten minutes before i pick her up, she cries so hard her little face is red and it worries me to let her cry any longer than that.  she does luckily sleep at night for 2 stretches of 4 or 5 hours with a feeding break around 4am, so im thankful for that.  im hoping the needing to be held thing will get better with time too. i will try all the advice i can get though. My 7yo cant work independently very much at this point.

thank you to everyone so far for the suggestions.  im going to look for one of those swings that swing side to side as soon as i can afford it i will try one out. im hoping that works better for her than our old traditional swing.

Quoting oredeb:

fantastic advice! i always kept my babies with me also when i homeschooled with one of those wrap thingys, also used the swing and a playpen in the same room we homeschooled.

what happens if you lay your baby down when shes sleeping already? can you just let her cry it out? that worked with some of mine,

i put some soft music on so they'd be use to noise in the back ground

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Try using a battery swing or even one of those lullaby toys that sends soothing sounds to your infant. If that doesn't work hang in there because it will get better in time. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)