Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling with a fussy Infant ???

Posted by   + Show Post

Our homeschooling schedule was switched to accomodate my prescribed bed rest and the birth of our daughter. We took off nearly 2 months for winter vacation for the event.  My school-aged daugher (1st grade) was significantly ahead of her public-schooled peers and we figured we could use an extra month in the summer if needed. But our 2 months is over and my newborn is over 2 weeks old so its time we get back to work.  The problem is, my baby cries like crazy(and super loudly) the second she is put down (even if she was sleeping at the time) and its hard to get anything done carrying her around.  I have a moby wrap that works occasionally during her nap times, but if she's awake we can just forget it. 

Any creative ideas for handling this and getting some school work done????  I would feel awful if my older daughter had to lisen to so much crying and fussing when trying to get work done.

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Replies (11-14):
oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Hows it going hills?

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I kept my baby in a Moby wrap for months and months... She loved being in there and snuggling me all day, and I felt she was safe so I could give my older child the attention she needed. You can adjust where the moby wrap is on your body so you can sit without squishing your baby.

If your baby needs motion to be content you could stand and sway all day while teaching your older child. We love to practice writing and math on dry erase boards. I also put my laptop on the kitchen counter so I could make worksheets and research books to read while standing just for my baby's sake.

Hills316
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Well I took an extra two weeks off, longer than planned...... to get myself reorganized and set things up that can be done with a fussy baby. Took advice and decided to focus on a couple basic classes. The rest we fit into conversations in our regular daily activities (for now) .... such as shopping, and cooking dinner.  I bought one of those cradle swings that goes side to side and that gives me an hour or so of peace a day  :)  The moby wrap still only works when she's sleeping...  but we're progressing slowly. :) Thanks to all of you for your advice.  Its nice to vent sometimes. :)  Luckily my husband was home doing it himself for a couple weeks before going back to work so he's extremely understanding when some things just dont get done.  :)  :)

Quoting oredeb:

Hows it going hills?

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

fantastic!! oh yes hills venting does help!!

Quoting Hills316:

Well I took an extra two weeks off, longer than planned...... to get myself reorganized and set things up that can be done with a fussy baby. Took advice and decided to focus on a couple basic classes. The rest we fit into conversations in our regular daily activities (for now) .... such as shopping, and cooking dinner.  I bought one of those cradle swings that goes side to side and that gives me an hour or so of peace a day  :)  The moby wrap still only works when she's sleeping...  but we're progressing slowly. :) Thanks to all of you for your advice.  Its nice to vent sometimes. :)  Luckily my husband was home doing it himself for a couple weeks before going back to work so he's extremely understanding when some things just dont get done.  :)  :)

Quoting oredeb:

Hows it going hills?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)