Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dealing with children who want public school...

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 14 Replies
My daughter is only 4, but we have been homeschooling this year. We live in a tiny village on an island in southeast Alaska, and the school system is really terrible. There were only four students in the graduating class last year, because all the other students (there are usually only 20 at the most) transferred to another high school in a different city. They actually go stay in dorms, which that is one reason in itself that I would rather homeschool - I don't want to send my 14-year-old away to school in another city! Anyways, the problem is, my daughter is constantly asked by everyone if she is going to headstart, or if she will be going to kindergarten next year. I feel bad for her having to explain herself. It finally got to her, I think, because last night she asked me why she can't go to a real school. It makes me sad because she doesn't understand that I have taken on the task of teaching my children myself for their own long-term benefit. Does anyone else deal with children who want to go to public school?

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I don't but I live in fear of the day. LOL Just make it plain that it was your choice as her parent to make and that you are helping her get the best education and values for your family.

crystalhend
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM
As an Alaskan I understand this all though we have schools close they are not for us. Everybody ask my kids or assume That because the are out and about that they are sick or skipping school we get loads of bad looks. My oldest did go to public school down in NC and so now she gives me trouble wanting to go but I will not send my 7th grader to high school to be picked on. Sorry to vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loves2sew
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM
I occasionally get that from my 5 year old. I just remind him about the great things we can do at home and not at a school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsrks
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

My kids didn't care so much about the school as they did going on a school bus. There is going to be things they want to do and can't all the time. If you are sure about homeschooling, they won't pick up any possiblilities. When she asks about school, confidently explain that homeschooling is the best choice you made for her and perhaps tell her special things about homeschooling that differ from school. (take breaks when you want, don't have to go out in the cold every morning, don't have to get dressed up, can spend special time with mommy etc.)

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Kaylon
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM

My kids don't ask to go back to public school.   Husband and I talked with them about why we homeschool and why they won't be returning to public school system.   

Is your daughter an only child?   Are there any homeschool support groups around, that way you can find her some homeschool friends??   We have a little homeschool group and the children are mostly boys and around my son's age.  So, that works out good..lol   

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Awww, that sounds rough! I bet having play dates and such is pretty hard as well with such a small population.

My daughter complains about missing her school friends all the time (she went to public k, now HS for first grade). Sometimes *I* feel bad that she will miss out on several things that go along with reg school, but then I'm happy she WILL miss other things, kwim?

It's hard when you go against what most people consider "normal".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

awww poor kid, well evenually she'll get it, and be happy with it, shes young now and impressionable. people use to always ask my kids that also, as they got older and understood it they didnt mind answering that they were homeschooled

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My DD that is now 8 wanted to go to PS back when she was 4 & we found out it was just to ride the bus! If you ask her now she will tell you she never wants to go to PS, so she out grew it!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Many years ago I had one that fussed about going.  I told him that it would never, ever happen.  That way he would quit thinking it might be a possibility.  I explained that the schools were inferior plus we as followers of scripture could not turn our children over to an ungodly government to educate them.  He later was glad that I didn't allow him as he would have missed some opportunities had he been in school.  At 16 he worked part time at a grocery store. They loved him and loved how he worked so hard and was so mature. At the age of 17 they made him manager of another one of their stores.  He worked through managing in some different stores then went into oilfield work. He is now in management with the company he works for.  He is 31 and makes very, very good money :)

lucsch
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You know, my dd did that at that age and even into K and 1st grade. However, she is now a 3rd grader and is at peace with it. She even has some friends that go to private or public school and is fine. She does also have some homeschooled friends. I think, at this age, it is important for YOU to look confident (even it you don't feel it) and be firm about what you are doing with her education. You know what is best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)