Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dealing with children who want public school...

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is only 4, but we have been homeschooling this year. We live in a tiny village on an island in southeast Alaska, and the school system is really terrible. There were only four students in the graduating class last year, because all the other students (there are usually only 20 at the most) transferred to another high school in a different city. They actually go stay in dorms, which that is one reason in itself that I would rather homeschool - I don't want to send my 14-year-old away to school in another city! Anyways, the problem is, my daughter is constantly asked by everyone if she is going to headstart, or if she will be going to kindergarten next year. I feel bad for her having to explain herself. It finally got to her, I think, because last night she asked me why she can't go to a real school. It makes me sad because she doesn't understand that I have taken on the task of teaching my children myself for their own long-term benefit. Does anyone else deal with children who want to go to public school?

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-14):
gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Yes, my oldest child was once in public school and she doesn't miss all the bullying or other bad things, but sometimes she asks why schools can't be changed so kids can attend normal school and receive one on one attention without the education neglect or the harassing ! This is something that is hard to explain, yet you know has to be defined to your kids but it is never easy. Lucky for me my oldest knows just how corrupt some schools and school boards are today, and as for the youngest well thank god she never had to endure any of this which makes it a little easier!

mrsjones2207
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

My DD is 5 and says she wants to go to "real" schoolall the time. I tell her that her education is mommy and daddy's responsibility and she will continue to be homeschooled then I remind her that she wont be able to have Bible or CoOp...her favorite things.

MS.TAI75
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness I so love Cafe Moms! I thought I was the only one dealing with this issue and I am in California.  I just started home-schooling May 2011 and my child has been asking about going to school when we pass by some public schools.  I tell him he is already in school but just at home.  And oh by the way my son is also 4 years old.  We were active in our local YMCA which gave both my 3 and 4 year olds extra-curricular activities when we are done with paper/homework but due to the economy and our finances that must be budgeted even more so we have to get creative with our outside activities.

So we are adding free field trips to our agenda which I hope gets public school off of his mind.  We go to the local library to listen to stories being read, I get them exposed to books, rent books and books with cd (read-a-longs) and they interact on the computer with games, pc activities and participate with other kids who are there.  On Thursday we took a trip to our local Fire Station and took pictures, asked questions and took a tour of the Fire Station.  This was probably the highlight of our week.  What started out focusing on Earth Science ended up in education at the library on Tuesday and Fire Station on Thursday and the other days we hit the books.

While I am writing to you it is aparent to me that the best thing to do is re-assure your child that you are the best teacher for him or her and that everything the public kids can do they can do too and more and better.  (smile).  Keep your children active so that they can be your little home-schooling activist.  Get you child out in the community, participate in community programs and see how your child will say how much fun they are having.

Examples of helping your community:

PLANT A TREE, VISIT THE POLICE STATION, VISIT A FACTORY THAT MAKES THINGS, VISIT THE WATER AND POWER COMPANY, VISIT A SHELTER (ANIMALS OR HUMANS)..

These are all life experiences that your 4 year old will have to engage in anyway so expose them to this life. Have questions prepared before going so that your little can hear the questions and the answers. Never underestimate your 4 year old because they are smarter than we give them credit for. 

Also visit this website a mother passed on to me from Cafe Moms.  Good luck!  And stay confident in you the teacher.  Your class can be as boring or as exciting as you create it or make it.  So whatever experience you want your child to have, create it.

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/

AeonReflux
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Thanks guys :) I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I make sure we go to a toddler and preschooler group twice a week, so she gets to be around other kids her age. I've also informed her that overall, homeschooled children are "smarter" than kids who go to regular school, which seemed to satsify her for now :P

Currently awaiting BFP #4

Quiverfull Blog

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN