Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

foreign languages in early homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM
  • 18 Replies

Okay, my son is only two but I have several acquaintances from different cultures and their kids are already bi-lingual. I have studied three languages but am not very good at any of them anymore and I don't have enough time to spend on them to get proficient to speak them properly.

I read more and more that kids need to learn early.  I would like to do something with my son but still want to homeschool. Should I teach him what I remember of the languages? Most of it is just vocabulary now, I have forgotten a lot of the grammar. So I don't know how much good I could do. I have some conversational tapes in one of the languages I studied but I have heard that human interaction is the best and just listening or watching a DVD is not the way.

And if I cannot speak it with him day to day, will this confuse the great language skills he already has in English?

Thanks!

"Children are a gift from God."

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM

All our children we will God Willing have will be bi-lingual, speaking English with me and Arabic with their father, their siblings, their father's family, and their step mother from birth.  I am trying to learn Arabic myself so I can communicate with my husband's family and read our holy book in the original language and not through a transliteration like I have been doing, aside from the fact that being bi-lingual can help one in the future.  Is there any way that you can perhaps have your friends of different cultures speak to your child only in their language?  If your only tongue is English then speak to your child in that and have the father or your partner if they are from a different culture speak only their language to your child and they will soak it up easily and without difficulty though they may end up going through a period of mixing the languages together and another period of not speaking at all as they master both languages.

MlkandCookies
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM

It wont confuse the kid, in fact theyve shown that babies actually babble in different languages and can know which languages to babble to which people. 

I would try to find and immersion program you could do outside the home, you can't teach a child a language you don't speak fluently and immersion is the best way to learn.

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

go for it!!! my kids learned spanish that young and its still with them

Irishred
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I have my son who is 6 studying irish in our home...we are using Rosetta Stone, we figured if he did well we'd add languages down the road.  The only problem I have with it, is that because the letters are the same but the pronounciations are different for each language he does have a few problems spelling words, lol, but I think that will be ok as he gets older... 

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Both my kids will learn a different language in their lessons. I do feel that it is better for them to learn when they are older rather than younger.  However you are their mother and only you know what is best for your kids as far as different languages and other subjects. 

charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I read somewhere that up until around the age of 8, children have an exceptional ability to learn and retain language, so early education is best. I think it would be a wonderful idea to teach your son what you know. Being bi-lingual or multi-lingual is a great asset, and you can never do too much to prepare your child for the future.  :)

Lisa009
by Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM

I can remember enough of my Spanish to make simple sentences like, "this is your plate, do you like the meal? this is the color red" ...etc.    ...Do  you think this is good enough for now? Or is that not going to do any good for him?

I also had Hebrew and have the tapes from it. It is a very difficult language so I was still very much a beginner. But what if we listen to the tapes together? They are conversational rather than vocabulary.

I was thinking about Rosetta stone too but it is so expensive! I also read mixed reviews.

Yes, I know bi-lingual people but I have read for that method, seeing them 1-2 times a month is not going to cut it. I have heard a min of 1 time/week. I cannot ask one of those moms to commit getting together with us 1X/week just so my son can practice another language.

Lisa009
by Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gingergarcia:

Both my kids will learn a different language in their lessons. I do feel that it is better for them to learn when they are older rather than younger.  However you are their mother and only you know what is best for your kids as far as different languages and other subjects. 

Why would you say older, I am curious?

Any early learning I have done with my son so far I have tried to incorporate into his play and exert no pressure on him to learn.

Lisa009
by Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Quoting globalhorse45:

may end up going through a period of mixing the languages together and another period of not speaking at all as they master both languages.

This scares me. My son's language is incredible for two years old. His Dr. says he is WAY ahead for his age. He holds short conversations on the phone, talks to me all day long and even helps me remember things when I ask him to help me to remember to do this or that. I don't want him to lose that.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Between Dora (who used to teach way more Spanish than she does now) and several Spanish speaking friends, my daughter could speak the language very well with just the little bit that she heard. As she got older she picked it up, more and more, easily.

Quoting Lisa009:

I can remember enough of my Spanish to make simple sentences like, "this is your plate, do you like the meal? this is the color red" ...etc.    ...Do  you think this is good enough for now? Or is that not going to do any good for him?

I also had Hebrew and have the tapes from it. It is a very difficult language so I was still very much a beginner. But what if we listen to the tapes together? They are conversational rather than vocabulary.

I was thinking about Rosetta stone too but it is so expensive! I also read mixed reviews.

Yes, I know bi-lingual people but I have read for that method, seeing them 1-2 times a month is not going to cut it. I have heard a min of 1 time/week. I cannot ask one of those moms to commit getting together with us 1X/week just so my son can practice another language.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)