Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

foreign languages in early homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, my son is only two but I have several acquaintances from different cultures and their kids are already bi-lingual. I have studied three languages but am not very good at any of them anymore and I don't have enough time to spend on them to get proficient to speak them properly.

I read more and more that kids need to learn early.  I would like to do something with my son but still want to homeschool. Should I teach him what I remember of the languages? Most of it is just vocabulary now, I have forgotten a lot of the grammar. So I don't know how much good I could do. I have some conversational tapes in one of the languages I studied but I have heard that human interaction is the best and just listening or watching a DVD is not the way.

And if I cannot speak it with him day to day, will this confuse the great language skills he already has in English?

Thanks!

"Children are a gift from God."

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM
Replies (11-18):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I speak English and some Spanish.   I learned Spanish and English at the same time by hearing it spoken around me.  As a result I am able to correctly enunciate Spanish words others find difficult to pronounce. 

I would not make language  a lesson this Early,  but it can help children develop the ability to learn other languages if they hear it spoken around them. 

gingergarcia
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I have some different cultures also in my family, so please don't think that I am rasist or anything. For one my oldest wants to wait a little while before learning and the youngest has some important issues and we are working them out right now. So one thing at a time for me and them. The youngest does watch Dora and other educational shows at times that use different languages or explains the different ethnics of cultures around the world.  I do expect any parent who chooses to teach this at a younger age. My children are a blessing for me and I thank God everyday for them!

borgen0128
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM
We are trying to find a french speaking college student to come in our house once or twice a week to play with the kids, while only speaking french. No luck yet though. A mom who has a lot of knowledge about children learning foreign languages suggested that. I think she might be in this group, can't remember.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa009
by Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Maybe I will give it a try. My son already eats foods from numerous cultures because that is how my husband and I are. We spend a lot of time doing things in all cultures. I think I will just try some things here and there and see how it goes. If he starts to lose his English, I will wait. It is my thought that even if he is only exposed to a little of other languages, that could help to prepare him for learning one more thoroughly later on. His mouth will get used to using sounds from other languages.

lacycc
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The other day I came across an excellent video series available online for teaching children Spanish.  My kids are two and three, and they love it.  The videos are very repetitive and simplistic making them very easy for kids to pick up, and my kids like to watch it over and over.   They are only fifteen minutes long. 

http://www.gpb.org/salsa

Then I found a Wyoming Curriculm based off the program which I have easily adapt to my children.  

http://edu.wyoming.gov/Programs/standards.aspx

The program is focused on k-12 but my kids are loving it.   I made powerpoints to reemphasize the vocabulary learned on the show mimicing the "baby you can read" idea.  One page has a word the next page has a coorelating picture.  

Of course, I found a cool page to teach myself Spanish.   www.spanishdict.com/learn  Its all completely FREE everything I shared.  I am a broke woman, but that isn't going to stop me from opening every learning opportunity to my children. 

Hope that helps! 

soy_latte
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

We hired a Spanish teacher that comes to the house and plays, talks, does school work with them in Spanish - partial immersion. Even with just an hour a week they really do pick it up amazingly quick.

They will likely never be fluently bi-lingual but they do know enough nouns, verbs and phrases to make out parts of a sentence (if they hear it on the radio or television) and take a good guess. Hearing Javier speak in a native accent helps, I think. They are use to hearing words pronounced correctly and spoken quickly. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I'm going to check this out!

Quoting lacycc:

The other day I came across an excellent video series available online for teaching children Spanish.  My kids are two and three, and they love it.  The videos are very repetitive and simplistic making them very easy for kids to pick up, and my kids like to watch it over and over.   They are only fifteen minutes long. 

Then I found a Wyoming Curriculm based off the program which I have easily adapt to my children.  

http://edu.wyoming.gov/Programs/standards.aspx

The program is focused on k-12 but my kids are loving it.   I made powerpoints to reemphasize the vocabulary learned on the show mimicing the "baby you can read" idea.  One page has a word the next page has a coorelating picture.  

Of course, I found a cool page to teach myself Spanish.   www.spanishdict.com/learn  Its all completely FREE everything I shared.  I am a broke woman, but that isn't going to stop me from opening every learning opportunity to my children. 

Hope that helps! 

Lisa009
by Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Quoting lacycc:

I have had no success with this one. Everytime I go to the website, it locks up my computer.

"Children are a gift from God."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)