Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it okay that I join this group? I'm not a homeschooling mom, but I was homeschooled for a while growing up (last three years of high school), so I may be able to offer some insight, and I find some of the posts very interesting. Does anyone mind that I joined? If you do, I won't be offended and I'll leave.  :)

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Replies (11-19):
charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM

If you're asking if I feel like I missed out on human interaction or making friends my own age, I didn't feel that way, no. My family was very active in our church (we went 3 times a week), and we also did things like playing on the local softball team, my brothers were in Boy Scouts, my sister is in 4H, my cousin's small, private Christian school allowed me, and later my sister, to join their volleyball team, we went on mission trips with the local college my cousins attended, volunteered at the Salvation Army and Food Shelf, etc. We had plenty of interaction with other children our age and were very rarely bored. So, there are a million things you can do with your DD to socialize her and make friends, you just have to look (and I grew up in a VERY small town, so imagine what you can find in a big city).

Quoting Boobah:

I'd love for you to join. :) may we ask you questions as well?

If so, my main question is do you feel like you missed out on anything big during that time? I'm homeschooling a 6 year old and I constantly battle with the "is she missing out" thing.

charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Thank you usmom, oredeb, and gingergarcia  :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM
That is so awesome :) and something I need to get better at. We joined a couple HS groups (one through our church) but the kids are all boys! Lol! Not that we can't get along and play with boys, but they are all off playing outside when my dd would rather be playing kitchen, dolls, etc kwim? So we havent found anywhere we "fit" yet, but we aren't giving up!

Thank you for your reply!

Quoting charliebean:

If you're asking if I feel like I missed out on human interaction or making friends my own age, I didn't feel that way, no. My family was very active in our church (we went 3 times a week), and we also did things like playing on the local softball team, my brothers were in Boy Scouts, my sister is in 4H, my cousin's small, private Christian school allowed me, and later my sister, to join their volleyball team, we went on mission trips with the local college my cousins attended, volunteered at the Salvation Army and Food Shelf, etc. We had plenty of interaction with other children our age and were very rarely bored. So, there are a million things you can do with your DD to socialize her and make friends, you just have to look (and I grew up in a VERY small town, so imagine what you can find in a big city).

Quoting Boobah:

If so, my main question is do you feel like you missed out on anything big during that time? I'm homeschooling a 6 year old and I constantly battle with the "is she missing out" thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Welcome! The more the merrier. 8)

Do you plan to homeschool your own kids?

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Just what I was about to ask :)   

Welcome to the group.  All of our DC were educated at home. I am down to my last.  My children are now home educating their children :)   Wonderful blessing.

Quoting mem82:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM

hey charliebean, sounds like what we did also! and my kids never missed out on the social thing!

Quoting charliebean:

charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Have you tried to see if there is a group here on CM for your town? I'm a member of a Jacksonville group here and one on FB and the women often schedule playdates and invite others to birthday parties and such, so that's also a good way to get your kids out and around others.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

That is so awesome :) and something I need to get better at. We joined a couple HS groups (one through our church) but the kids are all boys! Lol! Not that we can't get along and play with boys, but they are all off playing outside when my dd would rather be playing kitchen, dolls, etc kwim? So we havent found anywhere we "fit" yet, but we aren't giving up!

Thank you for your reply!

Quoting charliebean:

Quoting Boobah:

charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Thank you mem, and I'm not sure yet. I kinda want to, but there are some really great schools in this area (my STBX's aunt is a teacher at an awesome private school here that she could get into for cheap), and I'm a single mom so I'm not sure if I'd be able to even if I wanted.

Quoting mem82:

charliebean
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM

i'm happy to hear that  :)

Quoting oredeb:

hey charliebean, sounds like what we did also! and my kids never missed out on the social thing!

Quoting charliebean:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN