Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Semester left and completely out in left field please help

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello,

Recently I chose to homeschool my son. His teacher was horrible and for a private school I was completely disappointed. She allowed him to write his letters and numbers wrong, jumped around with the letters and yet expected the students to know how to write an sentence before learning any words. She sent home his report card ( after I had to send it back the first time because she failed to fill it out) and it said he had almost accomplished counting to 20!!! I knew then something was for sure wrong because he could count to 100 + in preschool. So in homeschool math I made up flash cards and he breezed through addition and has been looking at the multiplication cards. Is there a free test that I can give him in his subjects that will tell me where to start working with him at? He is a math whizz but reading he struggles. Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
20.meg.11
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Also, is it normal for a kindergarten to beg for you to homeschool him? He does not like to socialize unless he feels comfortable. Should I enforce the issue of him socializing or let him go?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Welcome!

Let me look around!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yes in this article, "How To Home School"  there is a paragraph titled "How To Get Your Child Tested". It is towards the bottom of the article, and offers three resources.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I'm having trouble finding a K assessment. I would suggest finding a 'What Should my Kindergartner Should Know' list (sometimes found on your school's Department of Education website) and go down the list, checking things off.

No, it's not really that normal for a happy K student to want to stay home so badly they beg. I would be wanting to know, what is going on. 8(

Good luck! If we can help more, just ask!

20.meg.11
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I pulled him out this semester to homeschool and his attitude within two weeks is completely different. He is happy being at home and doing school. He was up dressed and sitting at his desk waiting for me this morning as to before I struggled to get him out of bed!!!! Woohoo

WHITELIGHTJENNY
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Edhelper.com is a wonderful place to get all kinds of schoolwork and u can personilize their work I use it on the side for mine and for extras. Its wonderful. Its like 20$ a year for unlimited stuff. U can personalize spelling tests, handwriting worksheets, alls u do is create it then print it out. You can also use their papers n worksheets. Try it. Its worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

You might look in to the Life of Fred books because it is reading & math.

I would not push him to go be social so much as just take him places so if the opportunity arises he can decide for himself if he wants to interact with other kids on his terms.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Awesome! I'm sure he was tired of dealing with her disorganization as well. :( it's sad that is even an issue, especially in a private school.

Quoting 20.meg.11:

I pulled him out this semester to homeschool and his attitude within two weeks is completely different. He is happy being at home and doing school. He was up dressed and sitting at his desk waiting for me this morning as to before I struggled to get him out of bed!!!! Woohoo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

hi! how old is son?

when my son first started doing school stuff, he was a whiz at math also but couldnt read. so i waited on the reading part till around 7 or 8 and then he picked up up fast.

here some scope and sequence page to show what can be learned at certain grades, but it really doesnt matter , teach him what he or you want him to learn! http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=176

heres some reading assessment tests  http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm

heres some saxon placement tests that might help you see where he is in math http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/resources/result.htm?title=Placement

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Good for you mama!

I wouldn't force socialiAtion but I would give him opportunitites. Put him in a sport, find a homeschool group and do park days, church/Sunday school programs if you believe, library story times, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)