Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

planning to homeschool

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

hi i'm new to this group :) i would like to homeschool my 14 year old daughter. she's in 9th grade this year. she has anxiety and depression issues wich make me want to homeschool her. we live in Michigan. i'm just curious as how do i get started? what is the first step? and what about online schools? Since its the end of the semester for her public school can i finish off the rest of the year with homeschooling or online classes.

by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
5BMom
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Hi there! First find out you State laws at www.hslda.org.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hello!

Most states have an online school like K12 that is public school at home. It has everything planned out for you. It's usually free or cheap.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

There are many great curriculum.  When I first began this journey over 19 yrs ago my oldest was 8th grade.  I used all ABeka my first several yrs.  I still use quite abit of theirs as they are a good one.  Some people use the K12 that pp mentioned.  I am one that stays as far away from government schools and involvement as possible so I don't recommend it.  Congratulations on your decision. It is a wonderful way of life :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

If you take a step at a time, it is quite easy.  First understand your State Laws (and get your teenager involved...the more she owns this action, the more she will co-operate with her studies).

Michigan State Laws

Here is an article that will help with the next things you will need to know. How To Home School (it is toward the bottom of the article, but pay particular attention to Dual Enrollment.

I am curious if she is being bullied.  If that is the case, these articles might be helpful as well: The Rose and The Importance Of You

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to email me.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Yes, you can definitely homeschool her! Have you looked in to deschooling her first?

kk1978
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM

thanks everybody :) what exactly is deschooling? i often hear of it but don't actually understand what it is?

oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

taking time off of schooling, letting your daughter get use to not being in school, you getting use to having her home, some people take a week or month

during this time she can read, play games, do some favorite hobbies, etc also you will notice how she learns so that will help you in teaching her, or whatever curr you chose to teach her with

heres some places to read about it  http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/weblinks/deschooling.htm

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You will want to deschool to here is a link to help you learn how.

http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

Quoting kk1978:

thanks everybody :) what exactly is deschooling? i often hear of it but don't actually understand what it is?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)