Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DO YOU KNOW YOUR HOME-SCHOOLING RIGHTS?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

As I am researching and asking questions many parents are giving me valuable information that I am so grateful for.  But the most valuable information that I have been given so far during my home-schooling quest since May 2011 was a website regarding my rights in my state.  Some of you may have seen my post regarding if the State has to test my children before going to Kindergarten and learned that the answer is no.  And in that posting a parent gave me a website that not only shows me what's required for my state but also laws and how to respond to "authorities" asking questions about why my child is not in school.

I would love to know your positive responses after reading this website.  Thanks again and if you have more valuable information to share with our Home-Schooling community please share.  Enjoy!

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/

Ms. Tai

feeding baby

by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hottmommi42
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup, I know mine. I use a site called hslda.org it is organized as a non profit by lawyers specialized in homeschooling legislation. It also gives helpful schooling tips, grade level minimums, curriculum, how to build your own, and the ability to ask unlimited questions. If you are ever forced into court they will represent you also. It's good stuff! I am glad that you ate also gaining some education. There is power in knowledge, and it also makes you feel like a million dollars that you CAN do what's best for your kiddo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM
They will not represent everyone. But they do have valuable information.

Quoting hottmommi42:

Yup, I know mine. I use a site called hslda.org it is organized as a non profit by lawyers specialized in homeschooling legislation. It also gives helpful schooling tips, grade level minimums, curriculum, how to build your own, and the ability to ask unlimited questions. If you are ever forced into court they will represent you also. It's good stuff! I am glad that you ate also gaining some education. There is power in knowledge, and it also makes you feel like a million dollars that you CAN do what's best for your kiddo.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I looked up Illinois's laws on homeschooling as I'm going to buy land and build a house there on both hslda.org and pearson website.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I use a few different sites, including my state's Department of Education.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM

They will represent you if you are a member. They do occasionally take on cases of non members. 

Quoting Silverkitty:

They will not represent everyone. But they do have valuable information.

Quoting hottmommi42:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

ive never followed any of my states homeschool laws but site that sure explains it good!

thanks mrsta!!!

debbie

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM

What are your state's rules? Weren't you afraid of getting caught?

Quoting oredeb:

ive never followed any of my states homeschool laws but site that sure explains it good!

thanks mrsta!!!

debbie

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I do know them, I learned my rights before I ever pulled my son from PS because I knew they would try to fight me on it & I was right!

oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

hi mem, according to mrsTs and usmoms site they found its let the school super know we are hsing, and test 3rd, 5th, 7th and 10th i think!  but i dont need to do that i already know where they are or were!hahaha

nope never got caught, no one ever asked, no problems here, we lived in the country so not many close neighbors,

the only test they took was their geds and they passed them with no problems and dd3 aced all of them! they had to take them here in oregon if so they could   work.

Quoting mem82:

What are your state's rules? Weren't you afraid of getting caught?

Quoting oredeb:

thanks mrsta!!!

debbie

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

A good place to go to as well for homeschool lawyers and to learn your rights is HSLDA. They are always helping homeschoolers. http://www.hslda.org/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN