Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hello to all. My name is Linda and I currently home school my 3 children ages 12,11, and 5. My 5 year old is easy to home school however; my other two are starting to fight me every inch of the way! My oldest son is type 1 diabetic and if his sugars are to high or to low he has major trouble focusing which causes some issues. I believe most of the time he is just being stubborn though! Any advice would be great because I feel like I am going crazy here.

by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Welcome to our group!

The tween years are hard. Have you tried giving them more control over what they learn and the order they do the subjects in? Having some say, can really help them get motivated.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I'm still in the early stages, but I hear you aren't alone. ;) bumping for someone else with tween experience! (and welcome!!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Welcome to the group. Have you always homeschooled & are just now having trouble or are you just starting out with them? I ask because kids that have been in PS need to "detox" if you will from the "school mind" before homeschooling to help them see learning a new way. Look up deschooling if you are interested in learning more.

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM

welcome linda!  what about short periods of learning time? watch what hes eating(im sure you do that) have him become more interested on his levels and such, keeping them right etc. might help. do some unit studies on what the older two are interested in? let them chose,

what are you using to homeschool?how long hsing?

Danielle163
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Have you considered computer-tutors?

imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I have been schooling at home for 2 years now. I did not have as much trouble last year as I do this year though. We are using the School of Tomorrow program. They are allowed to choose which books they do. They are not big books at all. At the beginning of this year I tried them all on an online home school system which just didn't work well for us. They wanted the kids doing at least 8 hours of school a day which is simply not possible. Also they had my 5 year old learning a new letter, the sound it makes, and how to recognize it every single day. A teacher would call once a week and would be all upset because she would say a word and then get mad because my daughter couldn't tell her the letter it started with. I believe at 5 learning should be fun and at their pace. For the other 2 the computer classes had them taking a test every single day....with my sons sugars out of control that is simply not possible. Even in public school he isn't allowed to take a test with high or low sugar. So in the end I took them all out of that and put them back in the books we are currently doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)