Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Writing in a 4.5 year old

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
DS is doing a lot of K work... But his writing attention span is still that of a four year old... As is his attention span for writing. I have been letting him do quite a bit of ETC verbally... And even some math. When should I really expect him to want to write more? Oh, we are doing 1-2 pages a day in his handwriting curriculum no matter what. He does not mind that amount of writing workload at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I never started any school for my children until they were around 6.  We just incorporated learning in with play.  I promise that they will learn all they need.  Even with me starting school at 6 or 7  a few of mine still graduated 1 - 2 yrs early.  Let them have fun when they are little and make learning fun :)

Danielle163
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My DD is in third grade and its like pulling teeth to get her to write like a story or persuasive paragraph-LOL. I wouldn't even start to push for any type of sentence writing until first grade. It seems like ps really pushes it, too. That is pretty tough for most children....putting pen to paper, thinking about ideas, making a sloppy copy, then working on it, making revisions, etc.

5BMom
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, this Child LOVES workbooks... He would do them 24/7 if I let him. I limit him to three days of lessons, no more than 45 minutes each session.... And closer to 30 minutes most of the time. Now, he does read to me every day... I feel like I should encourage that and keep moving him forward.

Quoting bren_darlene:

I never started any school for my children until they were around 6.  We just incorporated learning in with play.  I promise that they will learn all they need.  Even with me starting school at 6 or 7  a few of mine still graduated 1 - 2 yrs early.  Let them have fun when they are little and make learning fun :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM

hi 5bmom! you dont have to worry bout his attention span right now hes only 4.5 ! you dont have to go by what the public schools say or how other peoples kids are, they all learn differently and in their own time.   whatever your doing with him now make it fun(if you aren't), let him enjoy it and you enjoy teaching him, at this age its ok to let them play, learn by playing, if he wants to write let him but dont make a big deal about if he doesnt want to. let the learning flow, he will learn no matter what your doing even if it doesnt seem like it at the time. play some fun games,  dance sing learn poetry verses etc play lots of hands on stuff, art, painting etc! let him see that learning is enjoyable!

i had some that wanted to learn early and some  that didnt start till later, and they both can read and write and do arithmetic!hahah 

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jan. 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

my son LOVES them too. He asks for more worksheets all the time.  Every child learns different & likes to do it  in different ways. If he is enjoying it & learning then stick with it!

We do both. we do worksheets which my son LOVES & we do lots of hand ons stuff. Best of both worlds

Quoting 5BMom:

Actually, this Child LOVES workbooks... He would do them 24/7 if I let him. I limit him to three days of lessons, no more than 45 minutes each session.... And closer to 30 minutes most of the time. Now, he does read to me every day... I feel like I should encourage that and keep moving him forward.

Quoting bren_darlene:

Jjmill5
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 7:34 AM
My son is nearly 5 and I started a preschool program just to give us a year of no mandatory education so we could get used to homeschooling before it got serious. He has a language delay, but he is so good with it even though he always tells me no school. Everything he learns opens his world and many things he wouldn't get if not pushed. He started singing this year, he's learning to write letters when he could barely hold a pencil at the beginning of the year. Many things he has just taken off and learned on his own though, letters, numbers, clocks. I too worry that he's not getting enough, but I have to trust that he will get what he needs when he needs it. I may teach him to read next year, I think he would really enjoy that.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The United States use to have the best education in the world, but that is not the case anymore.  One of the reasons for that was educators made sure children knew the basics before moving them on to the next step.  Today the public schools teach comprehension even if the child can't yet read,  and teach reading writing and spelling all at the same time. 

Most children do better by taking one step at a time, and by following their natural time clock instead of a one size fits all standard set by some bureaucrat that never even taught one child.  The beauty of home school is we do not have to repeat those mistakes.    

.Boys especially have trouble with handwriting because they do not usually have the finger dexterity that girls have.  But he learns that by tying his shoes, learning to color in the lines, drawing circles....  

You are wise in using teaching tools that interest him.  Children have a natural desire to learn which is destroyed by 2Nd grade in the public schools.  When one observes home schooled children though, they retaining that for a life time thus they are self motivated, and do not have to be pushed to do their studies as teenagers . 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I would just encourage writing every day and gradually increase it. At his age, a sentence can enough.

lucsch
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I did not have my dd do any writing at 4.5. She was doing K reading in K4, 1st reading in K. She learned to write her letters in K and did some math worksheets. She is now a 3rd grader learning cursive and has nice handwriting. She also writes creatively (it is her favorite assignment). What I did do was read, read, and read to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)