Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelemed in a good way

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 2 Replies

I feel highly overwhelemed with this and its because I have too much to work with lol!!!  We have put off social studies and science for the whole first semester because we got books from the county and I just was not impressed with what I was getting from just the book and wasn't sure on how to expand with it. It was too dry just reading and answering the questions and both my daughter and I were miserable going through it.  So I scoured the requirements for second grade in our state (WV) for each subject on the board of ed page and came across their Teach 21 under their educators tab.  There they have an section dedicated to social studies modules which is tons of different kinds of projects to go along with the objectives that are laid out for each grade's "standards."  They also have an interactive CSO which not only gives out what each object for every subject is but also to gauge on how well the student is learning the objectives and it is broken down really nicely. Also...there are even more ideas there on how to teach the objectives. There are project ideas, graphic organizers, worksheets...There is so much they have for social studies in particular, since aside from the interactive CSO they have the specific resource packages too (which I think is really nice seeing how this has been the most dificult to make interesting and teach).

I know not everyone lives in WV, but...it may be worth a look for anyone not using a curriculum or want a little extra...
http://wvde.state.wv.us/teach21/

This is my first full year homeschooling so I'm still learning as I go along, and was super excited to find this since it gave me some direction lol.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thats great!

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

hahahah i know how ya feel!!

the resource looks like a good resource! thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)