Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

traveling and homeschooling questions

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello ladies, I have a question and thank you all for your previous answers! My family and I are planning on traveling in our motor home next month and we have a kindergartner and preschooler. We plan to be on the road for over a month, and in different states. Where can I go to find information on how to do and start homeschooling while traveling on the road Does anyone have any expieience in this or have any advice in traveling and homeschooling? Thank you ahead of time for your responses. Also....how long does it take to get started on the homeschooling?

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Just do fun stuff with them & find out all the great kid friendly things you can do at the places you go & do lots of field trips & hands on stuff! Homeschooling is easy especially at those ages!

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Imo, at those ages, being awake is homeschooling! This will be such a great time for you guys. They will learn so much just by being out. Maybe ask them two questions at the end of every day, what did you like, and what did you learn. Ask lots of open ended queations, and maybe pick a letter of the day for your kinder to take picks of (al things they see with starting sounds a,c, and m, for example) and your preschoolers really is just learning about social stuff, solidify colors, shapes and sounds, maybe what is healthy food, and animal/animal families (sheep have lambs, cows have calves, etc).
To clarify, are you asking what the laws are with having your kids not 'in school?' Or just some ideas about what to do with them? I do believe kinder is not even a required grade, but I could just be speaking for my state. Have fun! I wish we could do something like that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisalynn
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Quoting hottmommi42:

Imo, at those ages, being awake is homeschooling! This will be such a great time for you guys. They will learn so much just by being out. Maybe ask them two questions at the end of every day, what did you like, and what did you learn. Ask lots of open ended queations, and maybe pick a letter of the day for your kinder to take picks of (al things they see with starting sounds a,c, and m, for example) and your preschoolers really is just learning about social stuff, solidify colors, shapes and sounds, maybe what is healthy food, and animal/animal families (sheep have lambs, cows have calves, etc).
To clarify, are you asking what the laws are with having your kids not 'in school?' Or just some ideas about what to do with them? I do believe kinder is not even a required grade, but I could just be speaking for my state. Have fun! I wish we could do something like that!

Yep i am asking about the laws with not having my children in school. Here in Colorado if your child is 6 years old they  are required to be in school. However my 6 year old child is in Kindergarten so am I required to home school if he is not in public school? What state do you live in? Does it go by age for required to be in school Or technically since my child is in Kindergarten he does not have to be in school?

globalhorse45
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We like traveling as well. What I am thinking of is when we travel to do a study unit on the country are visiting/living in since I hope to be an ESL teacher.  There are some books on Amazon that are "What Your ____________ Needs to Know" and there's another book called "Home Learning Year by Year" or something of that nature on Amazon that tells you how to make your own curriculum and what your child needs to know  each year.  Why not do a unit or a lapbook on the states you will be visiting?  You could even do a scrapbook filled with pictures and facts of each state you plan on visiting.  For preschool I would say work on motor skills (gross motor skills and fine motor skills), tracing, cutting things out, shapes, colors, their name, phone number, address, alphabet, reading, numbers.  For K I would say work on phonics, reading, writing, simple mathematics addition/subtraction), science, maybe some social studies/geography (you could tie geography into a unit study on each of the states you plan on visiting), spelling, first aid skills, hygiene, nutrition.  http://www.tlsbooks.com/kidspagearchive.htm has preschool to sixth grade worksheets.  http://www.ezschool.com/EZSheets/  has free worksheets for K-12.  http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/ has free math worksheets.

globalhorse45
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Here is Colorado's laws on homeschooling: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Colorado.pdf

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN