Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

am I selfish?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM
  • 3 Replies
ok ladies here is the situation.... I have been homeschooling my first and second grader since December using the k12 program. It's going fine , some days are great some are not so great LOL. I am currently going to school full time myself and I have a one year old and a four year old who will be going into kinder this coming school year.

My dilemma is this.... I would like to send my four year old to a charter school for kinder because I feel like it would be to difficult to teach her while I'm teaching my other two and dealing with my own workload. I plan on keeping her hoime once she is in first grade but she has told me numerous times she wants to do homeschooling for her kinder year... I just think adding her to our at home school schedule will be much more manageable once she already has a foundation in reading . What are thoughts on my situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a tough one. I totally understand what you are saying on spreading your time but my kids learned so many BAD things in Kinder, that I'm i MUST say keep her home. If she is already learning and doing school with you she will most likely be bored anyway.

Homeschooling Kinder took us - AT MOST an hour a day. If you figure a child in half day Kinder is only there for 2 1/2 hours. There is a 20 minute snack, a 20 minute recess, transition times (lining up going to/from, potty breaks etc)  so there is NO way they are getting more than that in public school.

Edited to add: Next year the older will be 2nd and 3rd. They will be doing a lot more independantly AND you could have them take turns helping or reading to your Kindergartener as part of their school time.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

chrissymanor
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM
thank you for your reply I see your points and they are all valid.. Maybe I am over thinking this and stressing myself out.

I have just been overwhelmed lately with trying to get it all done .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I totally get being overbooked and stressed. While I haven't been going to school I have been a Girl Scout leader, Boy Scout leader and Cub Scout leader all at the same time while trying to homeschool my three kids. Talk about ripping your hair out! LOL

I had to step back and reevaluate what was important and WHY I was staying home....That was my kid's eduaction.  My younger DS bridged to Boy Scouts, I dropped being a Girl Scout leader  and just work with my DD and it allowed me more time to focus on the kids. Things are SO much easier! You might consider getting a friend or family memeber or hiring a jr high or high school student to come help with the one year old (or even the older kids) when you need time to study or do housework.

If I had two kids that were a grade apart, I would see what I could do to teach as many subjects together as possible. that's not as easy since you are using K12 - but you might talk to them about letting them do some subjects together. Science is really easy in the elementary years since each year just builds on the concepts of the year before. Same thing with Language arts. they learn basically the same thing - just more in depth.My DS that is in 5th -should really be in 6th but struggles with ADHD, reading comprehension and writing. We do a lot of things with my DD who is 3rd grade but advanced. I just make it so that it *seems* as DS is teaching or helping DD and it works great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN