Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This one left me scratching my head!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
  • 12 Replies
Yesterday, my son (5th grade) and I were working on dividing fractions. My 9th grade daughter walks in, looks at the board, and says, "I don't think I ever learned how to do that." I almost hit the floor! She went to ps through the 6th grade, made straight A's the whole time, and was certified gifted by the state! Her teachers always told me that she was great in math. When I asked her how she did fractions in school, she said they were taught to input it into the calculator! She sat down with her brother, and I taught them both the same math lesson. She understood it in 5 minutes, but I felt so badly for her. She is taking algebra, and didn't know how to divide fractions! I'm mad at the school system for letting it happen, and at myself for not noticing it before. Since she's been homeschooling, though, fractions haven't been part of her curriculum, so I didn't even think to ask her. I just assumed she knew how to do them WITHOUT A CALCULATOR! I don't allow calculators for basic math. Okay...I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOf7Children
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I feel  your pain! Imagine my surprise when I found out that two of my step-children did not know how to do basic math and they were in 6th grade and 8th grade. Granted they also have IEP's but I got them started on times tables because they did not know those and they had them learned within 3 months!

I'm with you on the no calculator until they know how to do the work without it, in basic math that is.

Daisypath Graduation tickers

Christine0813
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Wow, that is sad but I also think that is the norm in a lot of schools. My 4Th grader has a math book that says he may use a calculator.... I told my son no way! They need to learn the steps and how to solve the problem.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM

glad u found out and taught her!!

oredeb
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM

wow!!!!

Danielle163
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Nothing about the public school system (anywhere) surprises me anymore. And OUR public school system.....they hired a new person for the homeschool coordinator position (I think that is what it is called here) and he's not even qualified to assess the children that are enrolled in the homeschool assistance program below 5th grade..........yep, that is our school district............DUH.......... 

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I had one of those "WTF moments" while my DS was still in public school and continued to have the for aa few years after we pulled him. As a matter of fact, the "WTF moment" was the final push I needed to start homeschooling.

It was near the end of 6th grade, and we had various problems with the school since we moved here in 3rd grade.  On this particular day DS I told DS when he came in from the school bus that we had to leave the house at a quarter till four. Around 3:30 he came running into the room and said we were late leaving. I told him no, we had 20 miutes left. After much gonig back and forth, it turned out he did not have even a basic grasp of fractions, and he was in the advanced math class.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Wow...smh!

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM

When my son was in 2nd grade their supply list  included a calculator, I am going really.  I told the teacher that there was no way he was using a calculator until he could do math on his own first, I also got it backed up from his tutor, not to mention he says calculators are to confusing to use and he can do it faster in his head which most of the time he can!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised schools don't use calculators in first grade. It's sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I graduated public school with a 4.0 GPA, taking beginning calculus my senior year.  I say "beginning" because our class barely got through the first chapter in a whole semester!, because there were individuals that couldn't ADD fractions with unlike denominators, but had somehow weaseled their ways through algebra 1, 2, geometry, and pre-calculus??? 

In all that time, though, I NEVER ONCE covered rate-time stuff (Train A leaves the station going x mph and heading west, Train B leaves the station...).  How SAD is that!?!

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)