Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This one left me scratching my head!

Posted by   + Show Post
Yesterday, my son (5th grade) and I were working on dividing fractions. My 9th grade daughter walks in, looks at the board, and says, "I don't think I ever learned how to do that." I almost hit the floor! She went to ps through the 6th grade, made straight A's the whole time, and was certified gifted by the state! Her teachers always told me that she was great in math. When I asked her how she did fractions in school, she said they were taught to input it into the calculator! She sat down with her brother, and I taught them both the same math lesson. She understood it in 5 minutes, but I felt so badly for her. She is taking algebra, and didn't know how to divide fractions! I'm mad at the school system for letting it happen, and at myself for not noticing it before. Since she's been homeschooling, though, fractions haven't been part of her curriculum, so I didn't even think to ask her. I just assumed she knew how to do them WITHOUT A CALCULATOR! I don't allow calculators for basic math. Okay...I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Replies (11-12):
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

When I did Precollege Mathematics 1 in spring quarter 2011 we were only allowed to use a calculator to check our work.  I just cheated and wrote the answers down as I didn't know how to do the math.  Still ended up failing the class.  I do not understand or get math unless Dh is the one teaching me.  It's my weakest subject. And we were NOT allowed to use a calculator during tests/final exams either.  I didn't have to take math in 12th grade thank God, I would have failed that class but then I had an IEP and didn't even have to take math part of Proficiceny tests (when OH was still using the Proficience tests).  I don't like math, I don't like how teachers get pissy if you do not understand math at all and expect you to already know it. 

wowguildmomma
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I graduated with a 4.0 and I never could do even basic math until DH taught me. It cause problems for me cause I couldn't even count back change or do most multiplications without a piece of paper. Math has always been my weak area, but when it was brought up at school about my placement they just looked at the fact that I was able to do collage level work in other areas so they told my mom not to worry. I would eventually "get it".

I am so grateful to DH for teaching me. cause now I can do almost up to pre cal and still learning. Mostly cause I am such an avid learner. I love learning how to do knew things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)