Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am new....I need LOTS of help!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay, so I just joined the group. I have thought about homeschooling before but then let it go and now I am back with it.

My name is Heather I am 28 and I am married to my amazing husband for 3 years and we have 3 children. Kalman will be 5 in June, Sarah just turned 2 on the 15th and Elijah who is almost 8 months.

Kalman would start K in Sept of this year however, my DH and I have decided that it is best to home school him. Seeing that the school systems are CRAZY these days and we want to give all our children the best. We are Jewish and I am going to incoorperate that seeing that I converted and I could afford to learn more in that subject.

So here is where I am at...We have made the choice to homeschool. Tomorrow is Sat(duh) well that means that my DH is home. We have NO plans so we are "transforming" our playroom into a classroom (per say).I need to know where everyone gets their posters, and what ciriculum to use. I also need to make a schedule. I am trying to get this all done so that I am not scrambling in the fall.

So if anyone would share what their schedule looks like or lesson plans that would be great!

Thanks,

Heather

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I get a lot of Kinder/ early elementary posters at www.OrientalTrading.com or S & S worldwide www.ssww.com for a good price. They both also have useful crafts and activities.

I got school desks for my younger two from a private school that was downsizing. I hear that the public schhols sometimes do sales as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Barnes and Noble sells posters as does Half Price Books.

Look up Teacher resources or Teacher Supplies in the yellow pages for school stuff.

Amazon can be a good place to find stuff.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

We don't really have set schedule, but you can make yours as complicated or not as you want. 8)

Good luck!

TFirth123
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

heres a bump

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Oh.. DUR!! LOL Doallar Tree has TONS of teacher/ School supplies. The 99c store has some but not nearly the selection as Dollar Tree.

Curriculum is up to you. I don't know of any Jewish curriculum's off hand since we aren't Jewish. I would maybe call a local Jewish elementary school (if you have one) or call a synagogue and find out what curriculum they use.

For GENERAL curriculum, you want to consider different things. What is the learning style of your child/ren? Do you prefer mastery of a subject or Spiral (where they present lots of things in small bits and them come back to them and reinforce anddo more later).

Here are a few of my favorites...

Math U see - mastery approach. Starts with teaching place value and the relation ship of numbers to each other. Something our public schools seriously left out with my older kids. It uses manipulatives and a DVD with the lessons on it so that it is for audio learners, visual learners and kinestetic learners (hands on) It is mastery so the first year is all place value and counting to 100, Then it spends a book on Adding, then subtracting, etc. It touches on clocks, and perimeter and other areas as they apply. It teaches money and the value of coins but (only doenfall I've found) is it doesn't teach what a Quarter, nickel, dime look like. I bought a book at the dollar store to make that "click" with DD.

All About Spelling - Teaches phonetically and each lesson is grouped by words that follow the same rule. It also uses letter tile manipulatives, has them saying the spellings, and writing the words so it is multisensory.  I also like Spelling Power, which is similar in that it teaches words by rules or patterns. however it doesn't focus on phonics at all.

Science In A Nutshell - but it's geared for grades 2-6th.  They are boxes with hands on experiments for - almost every topic you can think of. Our Charter school buys them for us and I believe they are about $45 a kit . It is set up for up to three students. I have two that do them together and I use the third book as my "teacher manual" lol

I order a lot of my things from Rainbor Resource - they havea HUGE catalogue. I suggest you order one nad look through it :)  I get all of the following through them...

Reading Comperhension I order Spectrum reading comprehension workbooks and we read and discussstories on our own. I also get Steck-Vaughn workbooks.

Grammar - We are using Easy Grammar - I really like the way it's presented.

I also like Write Source for Reading/Grammar and Writing. Several families here use it but my kids dont care for it much. I need to find another writing program that will work for them. I've just been winging our writing.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

For a "schedule" I don't really have one but my kids are older.

I give the kids assignment sheets on Monday withtheir week's work and they must complete one lesson per subject per day. If they want ot do MORE than that and have a freeday on Friday, or do two lessons Monday nad take Tuesday off, that's fine. It just needs to be done before Gymnastics on Friday or they don't go. This is HUGE incentive for the younger two as they LOVE gymnastics.

oredeb
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM

we make our posters or buy them at the school supple store in town, or staples has postrs, walmart has posters, dollar store has posters

so it looks like you have a while before you need to hs, so are getting prepare, good!! learn all you can! look up your hs law, then start watching your son play  or how he does things, getting an idea on how he learns, which will help you when teaching him, you could start him out with lots of hands on stuff, what really helped my son with his handwriting was pounding nails in wood(i know it seems weird!) but it worked! that kid had the best handwriting !hahaha just doing hands on stuff will be helping him with doing his school work, also including hands on in math(counting objects, using them for subtraction, addition etc.) hands on in learning to print is helpful, letting him learn to cut with scissors, use a paint brush, having him when ready paint inside lines, finger writing in sand or the air, etc, science/nature study- going outside and chasing bugs!haha or butterflies, planting garden, turning over rocks and seeing what living there, drawing these things in nature study book, if he wants to writing something and cant yet he can dictate to you and you write it!  history- learning the history of your family, or the area around you, be sure to always read to him, he can draw or color while you do if he wants. 

when my kids were younger heres their schedule:

we only did school for about 2-3 hours a day when that young(4-5) and thats with 4 sometimes 6 kids.

we'd always start at 9 in morning( but anytime is good, just what works for you!)

we'd start with prayer, some songs, memorize verses for about 15 minutes

then on to learning the phonics for another 15-20 minutes depending on how the child was doing.

then i'd read a story to them

next we did some hands on math(i also used rod and staff work book or any of those ones you get at walmart or staples ) when the child started catching on to math. we always used manipulative's(marbles, candy, pennies, poker chips, nuts, rocks, bugs etc) we usually did this for about 15 to 20 min.

then we'd practise a bit of hand writing, i taught my kids to do italic handwriting, we had a workbook that i would copy and use for them when they were ready for printing. there's lots of places online to get worksheets free, you just have to print them

then maybe we'd do history, talk about grandma and grandpa, , etc write or dictate them a letter, draw a map of our area we live in(they loved this, we would put roads in so the matchbox cars could drive around on it! they loved it so much that i did it on that huge oil cloth stuff so it was permanent. that took about 15 min.

sometimes we did arts and crafts they take a bit longer about 1/2 hr to 45 min.

then th last thing we'd do was science/nature study, sometimes driving over to one of the parks, to look at things, study birds, animals, fish, pick herbs, . or we'd go for a hike in our back acres, bring our lunch and nature drawing books, draw things we seen,draw plants, learn about wild plants, take pictures, etc when they are young you dont have to go to much in depth at first. we usually took our time so about and hour to an hour and half!

then i'd read another story is possible to them. as time went on and years past, they were more independant and things took a bit longer, but we always did our nature study.

wow i didnt know i wrote so much stuff! sorry bout that, ive told you more than you asked i think! accidently pressed the save button!  so im editting now! another thing ive always done thats helped me greatly know and remember what to do each day was make out a lesson plan(every friday night)then i'd know what i was doing when i got interrupted and could just go right back to what we were doing!  also be sure to take lots of pictures! its worth is when they kids are all grown! mine love to look back at the pictues now.

debbie

5BMom
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM
We don't have a school room or posters... We do not do school at home... We did lessons outside in the nice weather and now we use the kitchen table or playroom table. I don't want to mimic a school. Sorta defeats my purpose.

For my young K, we use the early years guide from Simply Charlotte Mason...which includes habits, handicrafts, and nature study. For the 3R's (plus logic) we use

CLP Liberty Math K
D'Nealian Handwriting K
Lollipop Logic 1
Explode the Code/BOB Books
SCM 4 year old reading list

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Before you purchase any curriculum, it is important to know your children's learning styles.  It will save you tuns of money.  Here is a link to 4 free videos about understanding your children's learning styles

As a home school convention workshop leader, I always tell new home educators that home school is not the class room .  Here is an article that describes various methods used by home educators with links to resources.  How To Home School 

ChristineSellsT
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Thank you for the info. I intend on watching/reading them when my toddler is napping. My son is currently in PS 6th grade. We've decided to do homeschooling but still need to research the best cirriculums and how to make this all work for our family. 

Quoting romacox:

Before you purchase any curriculum, it is important to know your children's learning styles.  It will save you tuns of money.  Here is a link to 4 free videos about understanding your children's learning styles

As a home school convention workshop leader, I always tell new home educators that home school is not the class room .  Here is an article that describes various methods used by home educators with links to resources.  How To Home School 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)