Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do I pull him out now or later?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
  • 19 Replies
Need to get my frustration out... DS has a speech delay (that we just found out after a year of doctors appointments, which is a whole other story, is due to reduced hearing). With his IEP he started PK in November, a week before his 3rd birthday. I always knew I was going to homeschool but we decided to send him to PK for one year or so because one,I wasent quite ready to take the plunge and two, he gets speech three days a week there and I wasn't in a positon yet to try and find individual lessons. Everything was going fine until about two weeks ago. The school split his class because it had gotten to big and DS was sent to a new teacher. Two weeks ago my sweet, cuddly, sharing little boy started to talk back to me (mostly with very loud no's one word he says very well), he won't share with DD (who is 1), won't put his toys away, something he was good at, is mean to the pets. Twice yesterday I had to punish him for hitting the animals, which is something we have never had a problem with. I don't know what to think. Is this just apart of being three or does it have something to do with his new classroom? I was going to let him finish out the year but now I'm thinking maybe I'll pull him out at spring break. I'm also a little annoyed because we told his new teacher that we want the sign language to continue. Before when he got a word they would stop using the sign along with it. Well now that we know he is partially deaf we want him to learn ASL, I don't view it as a "crutch" (their word) but something that will help him. Yeah that's not happening. Sorry this ended up being long. Thanks for the vent.
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momo3fgr8tteens
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Is the sign language on his IEP if it is they must do it. If it is not on there have it put on. If you need to know more about how to do any of this let me know. I work in this field and have worked with parents as a consultant in helping them get IEP's enforced and meeting the needs of the student.

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM
It's not on his IEP. I didn't think about doing that. I'll talk to his teacher. Thanks.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I would go talk to his teacher. Maybe the change has upset him. If they aren't signing, maybe he isn't understanding things well, now, and that upsets him.

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Quoting mem82:

I would go talk to his teacher. Maybe the change has upset him. If they aren't signing, maybe he isn't understanding things well, now, and that upsets him.

It could be. I just wonder if it's even worth it. I'm not sending him back next year regarless. At this point I'm ready to homeschool, such as it is with a 3 year old. I just thought I'd let him finish the school year but ugh, what a little brat his been and I don't want that behavior ingrained.
rose231
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Well I home school because they do pick up bad things at school and that is why I home school
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I would pull him but just make sure he understands it isn't because *he* is being bad.

Quoting Ankles:

Quoting mem82:

It could be. I just wonder if it's even worth it. I'm not sending him back next year regarless. At this point I'm ready to homeschool, such as it is with a 3 year old. I just thought I'd let him finish the school year but ugh, what a little brat his been and I don't want that behavior ingrained.

mjande4
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM
It could be a little of both. To tell you the truth I never had "terrible twos"'with my kids, the attitudes came with the threes.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

If he's still getting therapy 3x a week I would probably have him finish out the year. If you pulled him, would you still be able to take him to therapy? Some states/districts allow it and some don't.

I would talk to the teachers and staff. maybe the new teacher isn't a good fit and he could be switched back to the other teacher.

I definitely think you should keep up the sign language but I don't know if you can force it on the school. Definitely do it at home. Our PBS channel has a show called signingtime that is great for preK/Kinder. (Heck I learned a lot though for an adult it's corny LOL)

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

I would pull him but just make sure he understands it isn't because *he* is being bad.

Quoting Ankles:

Quoting mem82:

Oh no I wouldn't do that.  He is still so young I don't even think I would  have to explain why to him. 

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Quoting mjande4:

It could be a little of both. To tell you the truth I never had "terrible twos"'with my kids, the attitudes came with the threes.

Thats why I'm wondering if its not just being three. We didn't have "terrible twos" either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)