Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do I pull him out now or later?

Posted by   + Show Post
Need to get my frustration out... DS has a speech delay (that we just found out after a year of doctors appointments, which is a whole other story, is due to reduced hearing). With his IEP he started PK in November, a week before his 3rd birthday. I always knew I was going to homeschool but we decided to send him to PK for one year or so because one,I wasent quite ready to take the plunge and two, he gets speech three days a week there and I wasn't in a positon yet to try and find individual lessons. Everything was going fine until about two weeks ago. The school split his class because it had gotten to big and DS was sent to a new teacher. Two weeks ago my sweet, cuddly, sharing little boy started to talk back to me (mostly with very loud no's one word he says very well), he won't share with DD (who is 1), won't put his toys away, something he was good at, is mean to the pets. Twice yesterday I had to punish him for hitting the animals, which is something we have never had a problem with. I don't know what to think. Is this just apart of being three or does it have something to do with his new classroom? I was going to let him finish out the year but now I'm thinking maybe I'll pull him out at spring break. I'm also a little annoyed because we told his new teacher that we want the sign language to continue. Before when he got a word they would stop using the sign along with it. Well now that we know he is partially deaf we want him to learn ASL, I don't view it as a "crutch" (their word) but something that will help him. Yeah that's not happening. Sorry this ended up being long. Thanks for the vent.
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Replies (11-19):
Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If he's still getting therapy 3x a week I would probably have him finish out the year. If you pulled him, would you still be able to take him to therapy? Some states/districts allow it and some don't.

I would talk to the teachers and staff. maybe the new teacher isn't a good fit and he could be switched back to the other teacher.

I definitely think you should keep up the sign language but I don't know if you can force it on the school. Definitely do it at home. Our PBS channel has a show called signingtime that is great for preK/Kinder. (Heck I learned a lot though for an adult it's corny LOL)

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out the show. 

mjande4
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quoting Ankles:

It sounds like a normal 3 year old lol
Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Ankles:

It sounds like a normal 3 year old lol

I'm not sure what I'm more afraid of, it being normal or being learned :) 

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Thanks ladies. Your answers have helped me focus my thoughts a little better. 

zandizane
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I dont know about whether you should pull him or not but I also has a son with speech delay and he goes to a PK for therapy. His delay was also because of hearing problems due to fluid on the ear drums. We had tubes placed a year ago and the dr said the fluid was as thick as glue. He never passed hearing screens until he got the tubes and now he is hearing great and the speech is improving! Has your ds seen and ENT about fluid on the ear drums?

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quoting zandizane:

I dont know about whether you should pull him or not but I also has a son with speech delay and he goes to a PK for therapy. His delay was also because of hearing problems due to fluid on the ear drums. We had tubes placed a year ago and the dr said the fluid was as thick as glue. He never passed hearing screens until he got the tubes and now he is hearing great and the speech is improving! Has your ds seen and ENT about fluid on the ear drums?

Oh Yes we have seen the ENT about his ears and have done tubes. That's the big reasons it has taken so long to diagnose him properly. After two years of tubes it wasn't doing any good (there was just a little bit of fluid and I was told that if it wasn't a critical time for speech development they never even would have done tubes) and I kept telling the ENT this but no one would listen to me. I'm just mom, not the MD what do I know.  Fluid is the most common problem and no one was willing to look beyond that. No one would do an actual hearing test, just check for fluid. After switching ENT's three times we finally found someone who would listen to me and we did an MRI and its a permanent hearing loss not a blockage problem. Sorry, I hope I don't sound like I'm going off. This is a big sore point with me. If the doctor's had listen to me we could have had this fixed a year ago. 

Jjmill5
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM
I went through the same thing. It probably does have something to do with just getting older, bit when my ds started acting like that I was worried someone was bullying him or showing him how to be a bully through peer modeling. I pulled my ds out last spring break and I don't regret it. I just didn't trust his teachers either. Btw my ds has speech delay too.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

That's terrible that it took you that long to get his ears properly checked!

Ankles
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Quoting mem82:

That's terrible that it took you that long to get his ears properly checked!

It's been a long road and were still a couple of months away from hearing aids but I'm hopeful that once those are in his speech problems will start to disappear.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)