Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New and thinking about homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello cafe moms, I am Irene I am 26years old and have a 9 year old son named Dominic and a 7 year old daughter named Kyriea. My son has been having so many issues while in public school so now I am contemplatingpulling him out and home school him. At the beginning of the school year he had a kindergarten student threaten to kill him and all the school did was if it happens again we will call that students parents. Now he is calling me while he is at school cause he is in the office due to him being so angry he lashes out at the students and teachers. All of the students is giving Dominic a hard time calling him names like jerk, moron, idiot and so forth. I can't stand to see him go through this anymore. They want him to now see a school counselor to help him with his anger, but I don't see that helping him much if they don't do anything about the other students messing with him. All its going to do with him is make him keep all his worries and problems bottled in. It broke my heart today to listen to him on the phone saying mom please pick me up I dont like school anymore. All the kids are messing with me and its making me very upset and angry. I have recently lost my full time job so right now I have the time to home school him. I dont know anyone that has been home schooled and I myself went to public school my whole life. I am sitting on the fence trying to decide if it will be best for my son to be home schooled for now or for a longer period of time. I really just don't know what to do. I hear about so many kids committing suicide due to issues like this and I wont allow that to be my children. Thank you for letting me vent and thank you for all of the advise :)

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM

wow sweet, if it were my son i'd pull him out fast! hows he doing in school grade wise? do you know why the kids are calling him names etc??

check out your state homeschool law , see what it says, talk to your dh, see what he says, check at the library to seee if theres a homeschool group in the area and go to a few of them , talk to the moms, ask questions, someone will probably help you along.

also try to figure out why he is angry(with all the name calling going on i'd be also )

SweetK3Hearts
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Quoting oredeb:

wow sweet, if it were my son i'd pull him out fast! hows he doing in school grade wise? do you know why the kids are calling him names etc??

check out your state homeschool law , see what it says, talk to your dh, see what he says, check at the library to seee if theres a homeschool group in the area and go to a few of them , talk to the moms, ask questions, someone will probably help you along.

also try to figure out why he is angry(with all the name calling going on i'd be also )

Grade wise he is ahead of his class. He is very smart for his age.  The kids pick on him cause they can get to him easily. He is a little on the sensitive side. When they leave him alone he has a great day at school with no problems. He sometimes feels like no one will listen to him at school and he is always getting the blame. All the teachers tell him is to walk away, but that does not always work with some children now days they will keep following you. I will definitely look into my options. Thank you for your advise

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Homeschooling could be a great option, even if only the year. He and his tormentors would have time to grow, mature, and get separate classes next year. Bullying is so out of control right now.

calimom1123
by Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Sounds like homeschooling would be good for him. Even if just for the rest of the school year. Being homeschooled has given my dd a confidence around others. Mabe he needs that one on one time with mom. I would really say go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Homeschooling sounds like a good option for him.  I went to the school counselor one time in 7th grade and told her about my bullying. Her reponse was more or less in not so many words to 'get over it' and that it was 'normal'.  I am also overly sensitive and get my feelings hurt easily.  I hated school as a child, builled from Head Start all the way to 12th grade.  I never went to anybody after that and just dealt with the bullying myself. Hopefully this year off from PS will be good for your son and the other kids will have time to mature.

rbnoel
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

my son went through the same thing and i found connections academy.  A great school that works with you and your child.  It is very frustrating when your child is being picked on and the school won't do anything about it.

5BMom
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I would pull him out.... Following your state laws.... Deschool for a bit to assess where he is at and choose your options...how he learns, what he would like to learn, and so on...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsrks
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Homeschooling will definitely be worth the investment. Your son doesn't need the kind of "socialization" he's getting at school.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

SweetK3Hearts
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Thank you very much ladies. I am looking into home school and what my state laws are for it. My son came home today saying how much he hates school and everytime he is there he is in so much pain. I think he might have depresstion :(. It saddens me to see him this way and as a mother i cant watch it get worse.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I hope you pull your child out immediately.  I pulled my children out of public school the very week I learned of home education over 19 yrs ago.  I hated my children having to go to school with all it's violence, bullying, and immorality.  I also missed them so very much when they were gone!  All but one of mine have now graduated from our homeschool and most are married with kids of their own (whom are being home educated also).  I promise you that you won't regret it.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)