Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
I am expecting ds2 in march. I am hs ds1 who is about to turn 5. My state doesn't require a child
to be in school until they are 6 by oct 1 so that gives us this year and next year before we have to worry about any legal requirements. Since this is my first year with homeschooling and my ds1 is special needs I feel a lot of pressure to do what is best for him. I am trying to get ahead in our curriculum so we can take a few weeks off once my lo arrives, but I'm not sure if we will be able to get ahead. I think it's just in my head that we really need to worry about staying up to date with our program. What do u think.?
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bmw29
by Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't worry about it. He's young and you have plenty of time. Just talk to him a bunch and play when you can and he'll learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

hi jjmill!!!

why do you need to be ahead? your hsing now so there shouldnt be anyone your answering to? thats what hsing is going at yours and your childrens own pace, you setting the pace or letting the kids set the pace,  and if you want to take off a month or 2 go for it!!! everything will still be there!

just like bmw20 suggested!! the kids are always learning even if we arent using books and worksheets!!! yea!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

This! There is plenty of time. 8)

Quoting bmw29:

I wouldn't worry about it. He's young and you have plenty of time. Just talk to him a bunch and play when you can and he'll learn.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I know how you feel, I can't help but want to be ahead (or even on track!) with my daughter (6, 1st grade). I am expecting dd3 in June, so we will have July and august off before starting in september. I remember what those first 4 months are like, and I'm worried we will do little to nothing. Lol

My reason for wanting to be "on track" is because I'm the "what if" type of gal. What if something happens, and I have to go back to work, or something happens to me and she has to be sent back to school? I want her to be at the same "level" as everyone else. Yes, I plan on homeschooling all three girls through high school, but if something happens, I want to feel confident in where they are. Does that make sense? I don't know if that is your reasoning, but I don't like to feel "behind".

I'd just start now if you feelup to it. I started a few subjects over the summer with my dd so I would have less on my plate when we officially "started". We were done with her handwriting book over the summer, so we started just doing copy work here and there. We read a couple of the literature books we had scheduled for our "year", and I worked on math just by living. (how many pennies will you have when you give me two?)

I'd say, focus on the basic skills. Letter recognition, phonics, early reading. Once they get reading down, it makes the rest of the subjects so much easier. For example, if I am busy with one of the other kids, I can have my older dd read a chapter and put it in her log, or read her poetry, or her science story, etc. We also started a math called "life of Fred" which is a reading based math. So if I can't read it to her, she can read it and then I will work the problems at the end of the chapter with her.

Since yours is not yet 5, and you said something about special needs, I'm not sure how much this helps you. But I hope it did some :) you'll do fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Oh and my new confession. (shhhhhh). I got one of those comprehensive curriculum books for *x* grade from SAMs club. It was $8. My daughter LOVES worksheets, so if I am having a rough day, I have her do a few of those pages. Plus, it is nice to look at examples of what they "should" be learning. I think my book has several subjects. Reading, reading comprehension, English, spelling, and math. I'm glad we started it, because it is talking about nouns, verbs, etc that I wasn't touching on while doing it "on my own".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

My children are all grown now, but I am still an in home tutor, and give Home School Convention workshops.  One of the things I tell new home educators is that Home School is not the Class Room for many reasons.    But one of them is that you do not have to fit your child into an unnatural time frame created by some bureaucrat who sits in some State office, and has never even taught one child.  You know your child better than ten bureaucrats put together.

How To Home School gives you tuns of information from Pre K through high school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I love those books! No shame in it. LOL Or at least, very little shame.

Quoting Boobah:

Oh and my new confession. (shhhhhh). I got one of those comprehensive curriculum books for *x* grade from SAMs club. It was $8. My daughter LOVES worksheets, so if I am having a rough day, I have her do a few of those pages. Plus, it is nice to look at examples of what they "should" be learning. I think my book has several subjects. Reading, reading comprehension, English, spelling, and math. I'm glad we started it, because it is talking about nouns, verbs, etc that I wasn't touching on while doing it "on my own".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)