Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I want to teach a co-op

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

It probably won't be for another year or so, because it will mean a 14 week commitment.  But I would really like to teach one.  So I need your feed back ladies.  I'm targeting it to high schoolers, and middle schoolers who want a high school electives credit.

It is basic music appreciation.  It would teach basic music (how to read notes, basic instruments...etc) in the first week or two, but would mainly be a history of music course.  It would cover multiple eras of music, and the types of music that came in to being during those times.  And would go all the way up until the music of today.  

My umbrella school doesn't require a certification, just a course outline which demonstrates my knowledge of the subject.  That won't be any issue at all.

Would you, as a parent, like this as a class for your child?  It would be my hope to expose them to varying (parent approved lol) styles.  In fact, an end of the semester project would be for them to pick a style that they have never heard, but came to like, and write a research paper about it. I'm big on college prep so research papers are important to me.  But when a child gets to go behind what they hear on a cd player, and hear the history of a particular style, and learn where it came from, they sometimes appreciate it more.  For me, it was Jazz.  I'd always been so so about it.  But when you learn the rich culture and history behind those notes....it just has a lot more meaning to it.  And I want kids to experience that.  

I'll put my idea forward to the group in a semester or two (i need to mentally prepare myself as much  possible...this would be a HUGE commitment for me) but I think I want to do it! 

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
globalhorse45
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Well music isn't allowed in our religion but I see nothing wrong with that as a course.  I actually enjoyed Music Appreciation my 1st semseter at Penn Foster College.  Then in summer quarter at The Ohio State University, Newark I took Art Edu 160 (it was Art and Music since 1945). Didn't study a lot of Art but did study a lot of music (watched a lot of music video clips on Youtube) and it was okay.  Had to write a paper on an painting and had to either go to a concert and write a paper about it or some other type of music that we really liked and had to write a paper about that as well.  Reading music notes would be a good thing to do, maybe along with making them write their own music sheet as well as learning about the different sets of instruments (strings, percussion, wood, bass) and perhaps music from different time periods/different cultures so they can gain a good appreciation of other influences besides American/European.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Oh yeah, I have already included other cultures and eras in the course objectives, as well as some basic music theory.

Quoting globalhorse45:

Well music isn't allowed in our religion but I see nothing wrong with that as a course.  I actually enjoyed Music Appreciation my 1st semseter at Penn Foster College.  Then in summer quarter at The Ohio State University, Newark I took Art Edu 160 (it was Art and Music since 1945). Didn't study a lot of Art but did study a lot of music (watched a lot of music video clips on Youtube) and it was okay.  Had to write a paper on an painting and had to either go to a concert and write a paper about it or some other type of music that we really liked and had to write a paper about that as well.  Reading music notes would be a good thing to do, maybe along with making them write their own music sheet as well as learning about the different sets of instruments (strings, percussion, wood, bass) and perhaps music from different time periods/different cultures so they can gain a good appreciation of other influences besides American/European.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I don't have any advice, but good for you :) I loved the music appreciation class I took in college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

oh yes katz, my kids did take this type of co op class!!! fantastic class it was and the mom who taught it did a good job, , not just a lot of seat work.  2 of them loved it, and the others said it was ok, the 2 that loved it were into music more than the others. but as adults its helped them recognize and appreciate different types of music, all of them( all of them are still into music, running a sound board, being in a band, writing their own music)

i had a class like this when i was in jr. high, i have never been into music but as an adult i very glad i took the class now, cuz i can still read music, recognize instruments that are playing, loved the history of it, and i passed down what i learned to my kids, they were always impressed that i could read music!hahahaha so i could help them pick out their parts etc.hahahah and it even helped me learn how to play guitar!

i think the class would be we worth it!!!

kittyfaery
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I would love for my kids to take a class like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

THanks for teh feedback ladies!

I am definitely going to look in to it now.  I've started on a course objectives list already, and I've begun to consider some good field trips.

I know quite a few members in the local pops band, and the local opera.  So I could probably get the class in to rehearsals, so they can go "behind the scenes" of a performance.  We're only a couple of hours from new orleans, so we could have a trip there for some jazz education.  We're also close to a guitar factory, which would be great.  And I know the owner of a local music store.  I was thinking of doing a class on the care and up-keep of instruments, and I would bet the kids would like to see an instrument taken apart and put back together.  

There are so many local music things we could do...we could literally have one excursion a week. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I haven't been to a co op before and I don't have a high schooler, yet. GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN