Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Rhyming in pre/k

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM
  • 13 Replies
I can't for the life of me get my 4 y/o DS to rhyme. He gets stuck on alliteration. We do word families, read rhyming books, play rhyming games...nothing. I say "T what rhymes with cat? Hat or cup," he says cup. Toby what rhymes with rat? His answer... R.r.rain Should I be concerned or is this normal for 4?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5BMom
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM
with my four year old, I use the flash card I made to go with our phonics program... And, for example, hand him SAP. I then set out CAP and MAT. I say sap slowly... /s/ /a/ / p/ and then do the same with cap and mat. 9 times out of 10, he gets it right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Thanks, we'll try flash cards next!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

My son didn't conquer rhyming until he was closer to six. He also got stuck on the first sounds. We just kept at it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Welcome to the group!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Thanks! I have 3 kids 4,2 and 8 months. Really set on homeschooling and getting excited about pre k concepts! I like this group so far, very supportive!

Quoting mem82:

Welcome to the group!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

you rockThis is a great group!

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Thanks! I have 3 kids 4,2 and 8 months. Really set on homeschooling and getting excited about pre k concepts! I like this group so far, very supportive!

Quoting mem82:

Welcome to the group!

soy_latte
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Try playing with word families more? (e.g. "-OG Words": Dog, Log, Fog, etc.)

My sons like to play a game we made up called Word or Not? To play you just establish which ending sound you want to use, then write 3 words on a dry erase board, 2 real and 1 not. It will then read something like "stick, glick, trick." Which is hilarious for them. They don't realize that they're even reading or rhyming - they just think they're trying to pick out the silly word. 

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Nice idea thanks! He likes games so we'll try it!

Quoting soy_latte:

My sons like to play a game we made up called Word or Not? To play you just establish which ending sound you want to use, then write 3 words on a dry erase board, 2 real and 1 not. It will then read something like "stick, glick, trick." Which is hilarious for them. They don't realize that they're even reading or rhyming - they just think they're trying to pick out the silly word. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Cool idea. I might try that with my son.

Quoting soy_latte:

dazguti
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM
My 3 y/o was doing the exact same. I used a whte board to write the word, then erase the first letter and write in the new one (several new ones) like cat hat bat sat, etc. Then I wrote them all down the board with all the first letters in one colOr and the word endings in another. Then had him read them all aloud. He's getting it now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN