Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teetering back and forth

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 15 Replies

My husband and I come from two different schools of educational thought. My husband was homeschooled (along with his siblings) years ago and seemed to like it. Fortunately, his mother is strong in math and science and he developed his own interest in literature and history, so he's pretty well-rounded. I attended both public and private schools and had wonderful experiences at both (I only switched between the two because I went from living with my mom to living with my dad who insisted that a private education would be better for anyone). We've been talking--rather, my husband's been insisting--that we (read: I) homeschool our kids. I've been doing research on the subject for quite some time and can't get over the fact that every single book I've read is written by an author who had a horrible school experience (be it personally or vicariously through their spouse or child). Reading so much bashing on the school system is hard for me because I loved it so much and flourished in that environment. I understand that everyone is different, but I can tell that my oldest child would do really well in school, also. Can anyone recommend any resources that simply present homeschooling simply as another option and not some way to escape 'the evils and terrors of the school system'? What's also frustrating is that I am doing all this research when my husband (who never went to school himself) just keeps dogging on how awful schools are. The only reason I'm up for homeschooling as of now is because of drastic cuts being made to our local schools in all areas--I think if things were like when I was younger, I'd be 100% for putting my kids in school. I'm not dogging on homeschooling, I'm just looking for unbiased information...if it exists.

by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

8) I, also, went to public and sent my oldest for 2 years before I pulled her. I'm sure there are lots of unbiased books out there. I will try to find some titles.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Good luck in your decision making. 8)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Biased - I went to private school doe K- 6th  and LOVED it then, as I say,I  got DUMPED  into the public school system in 7th  and hated it ever since. It totally KILLED any love of learning that I had.

I put my boys into public school thinking, "I will not let my negative experiences affect them. They will be fine!  It was AWFUL.  I know there ARE some good schools out there - they are just few and far between.  The first school Ds1 was in was wonderful. The teachers were wonderful. Then we moved and it's been awful ever since.

For an unbiased opinion  - Read any of John taylor Gotto's books

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/

OK - After reading excerpts from JTG's books - he's NOT so unbiased. However, he wasa public school teacher who found different methods to work with special needs and at risk kids and turned them into kids that excelled, got good grades adn scholarships! The kids society had written off.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Danielle163
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The only thing that I've ever seen in the main book that I use for homeschooling (Home Learning Year by Year--and granted I have not read it word for word for the grades DD has not yet completed....I have just skimmed through for those) is the author stating how in ps the kids are all lumped together for whatever,  be it starting to read, spell correctly, whatever....and how with homeschooling you have the luxury of not worrying about that since your children get the one one one attention, and you can stop and work on a topic until it is mastered.  The Homeschool For Dummies (yellow books) has quite a bit of good info and I really don't recall any slamming on the public school system in it either.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I admire that you are being open minded and researching your options, that's a very respectful approach.

I don't know any books you can read as I haven't read any pertaining to homeschooling.  I'm sure that a lot of homeschool books are written by biased authors (not that I agree) but it's a subject that is sensitive to many given it's a personal decision that I think many homeschoolers feel they have to defend.  I doubt you'll find those kinds of books for public schools I have noticed even the parents that had the greatest time in public school don't feel a reason to write a "How To" book on it (although I think It'd be great if they did).  I have heard other homeschool mothers bash public schools (I don't), but then again I've heard just as much bashing when public school mothers get on the subject of homeschooling; it's sad really.

There are many reasons why people homeschool and the majority (not all) tend to do so because of a poor experience with the public school system or because of religious reasons.  We don't homeschool for either of those reasons.  We homeschool because our once public schooled children (for their own reasons) asked to stay homeschooled after a year of trying it out.  As for curriculum, we use the same text books the public schools do.

Every homeschooling family is different and finds what works best for them so the best suggestion I can give to you is that if you choose to take the homeschooling route try to find what works best for you and your entire family instead of trying to fit yourselves into another families homeschooling scenario.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I had a decent school experience.  Middle school was rough, no lie, but that was the fault of the private school I was at.  But I enjoyed high school.  I was prepared for college, thanks to AP and honors courses.  I DO admit the regular classes would have left much to be desired.   

Not all schools are awful.  However, the general system as a whole is failing.  I wish that there was a book that could praise school systems in general, but unfortunately, because of the current state schools are in, they can't.  There IS a book that is fairly unbiased.  It's mostly just how to homeschool, that I would reccomend.  IT's called "the everything homeshooling book."  

It's unbiased, at least as far as I remember, and is basically a step by step guide for you.   

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

The Home School Legal Defense Association has independent studies that show Home Schooled children out perform public schooled children.

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the Home School venue:  Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are.

In this article a teacher explains how her hands are tied by the bureaucracy

That being said, home educating is not for everyone.  If you are the one who will be doing the education, you have to trust yourself to make the best decision for your family.

oredeb
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

hmmm, well i had a good school experience, i learned from my teachers,

one of the reasons i homeschool is i dont like the bullying going on, i think who teaches the  kids is up to the parents choice not the schools/government, i wana know whats going into my kids, and i dont like the kids having to sit in chairs to learn! i like them having a say in what they want to learn,  i think school rooms are to full for 1 teacher, i think they should have more help or less kids!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Book's I've read where not about how much better homeschooling is compared to public schooling or private schooling.  The ones I've found were on how to homeschool.  If you are looking for peoples opinions on homeschooling you will find the loudest people are those who hated school.  I've read Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling and Homeschooling year by year.  I've recently picked up The Well Trained Mind.  I'm not looking at opinions on why homeschooling is or isn't better, I wanted to know how to homeschool my child to see if I could do it.

I really enjoyed public school, I didn't know of anything other then alternate public school and private.  My husband enjoyed public school, and was very active in his.  When we first started homeschooling we were in Las Vegas.  I was NOT going to put my child in that mess of a system, I HAD to find another way of schooling and private school was not an option with hardly any money.  I talked with my daughter, she wasn't looking forward to going to school, she wasn't emotionally ready, so finding out how to homeschool her was the best option.  We moved around, as military families will do, and homeschooling just kept it consistent and she didn't have to try and catch up or be bored with new schools.  We always put her in some activity so she could meet other kids, would go to parks, and just be around other people.  Does this mean homeschooling is for everyone, no.  Do people try homeschooling and find it not a good fit for their family, yes.  Does it hurt to try and learn from the experience, not really. 

There are always going to be those who want to be heard for their opinon, reading books and researching is wonderful way to find out about something.  Talking with real people who actually do the activitiy or job, is the best way to get what you are looking for. 

Sorry this is sooo long.  I seemed to have a lot on my mind to day.   Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Bellandpaysmom
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I recently took my son out to homeschool only after having some serious problems with the school.  It was very difficult for me and him.  Especially since he is in the 8th grade.  The thing is he wanted to go back to school so I have been working very hard to resolve the issues at his school and he is now back at public school.  He simply was miserable being away from all his friends.  I dont think you should force homeschool just because your husband wants you too.  Because trust me it is alot more work involved than most people realize.  I mean you have to still be a mom and take care of everything and still find the time to get all the school requirements in.  I think its worth a try to send them to school and let them decide if they enjoy it or not.  If not all you have to do is sign them out and school them at home.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN