Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

Posted by Cynthia Dermody

mom reading stories to her children

Photo by Lynette

It's an understatement to say that homeschooling is often misunderstood.

We've got some amazingly smart homeschooling moms here on CafeMom that will set the critics straight and patiently answer any question about educating children in a home setting. But I also uncovered this list of gripes from the Secular Homeschooling website.

Okay, so it's a little sarcastic, but I found it funny and certainly true.

1. Please stop asking us if it's legal. If it is — and it is — it's insulting to imply that we're criminals. And if we were criminals, would we admit it?

2. Quit interrupting my kid at her dance lesson, scout meeting, choir practice, baseball game, art class, field trip, park day, music class, 4H club, or soccer lesson to ask her if as a homeschooler she ever gets to socialize.

3. Stop assuming all homeschoolers are religious.

4. Please stop questioning my competency and demanding to see my credentials. I didn't have to complete a course in catering to successfully cook dinner for my family; I don't need a degree in teaching to educate my children. If spending at least twelve years in the kind of chew-it-up-and-spit-it-out educational facility we call public school left me with so little information in my memory banks that I can't teach the basics of an elementary education to my nearest and dearest, maybe there's a reason I'm so reluctant to send my child to school.

Click the Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List to see the rest of the list.

Hey, homeschooling moms, is any of this true -- do you feel this way? What do you think is the most misunderstood part of homeschooling?

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I just read the whole list, and I love it! I am still treated by some "friends" as the whacko nut mom who is afraid to let her kids out of the house, even though my kids are happy, outgoing, and well behaved. It drives me crazy sometimes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM
We haven't faced a lot of the assumptions yet, as this is our first year and in my husbands family, it's more like "ignore it and it isn't happening". Lol but I do think these lists are funny. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

hahahaha

i ve been asked all those!hahahaha but i dont mind answering, i love setting people straight!

most misunderstood part of hsing- maybe why we moms do it!

globalhorse45
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My family doesn't know I plan on doing a trial run of homeschool for Pre-K.  They already think I'm weird and would just see me as insane for not letting my kids go to public school.

imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this one

12 If my kid's only six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach him what he'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respond in kind.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I love this list. 8) I do get tired of seeing and hearing people bad mouth homeschooling. There are good things and bad things about all educational choices.

Venanya
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I've had a mother upset with us because her son found out homeschooling was an option and he wanted to start immediately!

1Redapple
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I read all of it!  Thanks for posting.  I agree with 99.999 of it.  Today I learned from my dd that the decimal point represents the % sign so I didn't include it % in this sentence, lol. Is that right?

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Quoting 1Redapple:

I read all of it!  Thanks for posting.  I agree with 99.999 of it.  Today I learned from my dd that the decimal point represents the % sign so I didn't include it % in this sentence, lol. Is that right?

No. You need the percent sign if you are writing 99.999%.

She must have had the lesson that 0.99 = 99/100 = 99%. This will help explain:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/decimal-fraction-percentage.html

1Redapple
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

HEE HEE.  Thanks, I'll make sure I remember.

Quoting 0123456:

Quoting 1Redapple:

No. You need the percent sign if you are writing 99.999%.

She must have had the lesson that 0.99 = 99/100 = 99%. This will help explain:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/decimal-fraction-percentage.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN