Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List

Posted by   + Show Post

Posted by Cynthia Dermody

mom reading stories to her children

Photo by Lynette

It's an understatement to say that homeschooling is often misunderstood.

We've got some amazingly smart homeschooling moms here on CafeMom that will set the critics straight and patiently answer any question about educating children in a home setting. But I also uncovered this list of gripes from the Secular Homeschooling website.

Okay, so it's a little sarcastic, but I found it funny and certainly true.

1. Please stop asking us if it's legal. If it is — and it is — it's insulting to imply that we're criminals. And if we were criminals, would we admit it?

2. Quit interrupting my kid at her dance lesson, scout meeting, choir practice, baseball game, art class, field trip, park day, music class, 4H club, or soccer lesson to ask her if as a homeschooler she ever gets to socialize.

3. Stop assuming all homeschoolers are religious.

4. Please stop questioning my competency and demanding to see my credentials. I didn't have to complete a course in catering to successfully cook dinner for my family; I don't need a degree in teaching to educate my children. If spending at least twelve years in the kind of chew-it-up-and-spit-it-out educational facility we call public school left me with so little information in my memory banks that I can't teach the basics of an elementary education to my nearest and dearest, maybe there's a reason I'm so reluctant to send my child to school.

Click the Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List to see the rest of the list.

Hey, homeschooling moms, is any of this true -- do you feel this way? What do you think is the most misunderstood part of homeschooling?

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Replies (11-13):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM
To the parents disappointment, other kids always say "I want my mom to homeschool me!" when Julia tells them about it. ;)

Quoting Venanya:

I've had a mother upset with us because her son found out homeschooling was an option and he wanted to start immediately!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Now I want to go make a ton of t-shirts with some of those on them!

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Not yet i haven't but we just started.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)