Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any ideas for a Harry Potter week?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

This week my son is reading the first Harry Potter book. I have some activities lined up, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any good ideas that we could incoperate into the lesson.

I plan on teaching him about the author and letting him write a short story on napkins at the local coffee shop like she did. I have some word finds and math worksheets that are HP themed. I am excited about this lesson. I know he will have a lot of fun with the vocabulary and spelling words. We are going to make a spell book. And at the end of the week we will watch the movie and compare it to the book.

I would love more ideas! Thanks girls.

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bookmommy
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Maybe something in here would help? I love the idea of unit studies..

http://homerunschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/harry-potter-unit-study.html

~Jen-Mom to a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old Aussie!

Come by my blog for homeschooling tips, thoughts, video game advice and general fun!

http://geekygamergalsmusings.blogspot.com/

Anna92464
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

How about cooking some of the foods that are in the book?  And a costume for favorite characters? 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM

My mom has the HP cookbook. It's great! We've made things like Hagrid's Rock Cakes.

Quoting Anna92464:

How about cooking some of the foods that are in the book?  And a costume for favorite characters? 

Anna92464
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

If you have barbies or ken dolls or gi joe's etc.....you could make little HP costumes for them.  Or do puppets for a puppet show....

britniwheeler
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

fun ideas! Thanks girls. Today he read two chapters, made a wand book mark and drew a VERY detailed Gryffindor banner. He really enjoys art. I would love to do some more things in the kitchen, like potions and HP meal ideas, so I will look more into that. Thanks again.

lovepotato
by Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I made a Harry Potter Jeopardy in high school and another in college. It was awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)