Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just needing a bit of support

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, my name is Anna.  I'm new here, but not new to homeschooling.  Right now, I'm homeschooling my 11 year old who has some learning issues.  Actually, I think dyslexia and possibly ADHD are his issues.  I'm not getting him tested because I'm trying some natural solutions that he doesn't need testing for me to do.  I'm making sure he eats well.  That's hard some days because he frankly doesn't like to eat enough to fill him up. He gets bored.  So I'm making sure his food is high in good fats as well as nutrition.   Of course we are taking things at his pace, using all the tricks in my book, plus teaching him organizational skills because that seems to be the key.  He forgets to do steps in problems that has more than one step.  

Honestly, I know what to do.  But we are having a rough day today with tears on both of our parts.  Learning grammar just isn't fun today.  And neither is math.  Or having to deal with each other.  I sent him outside to play for a while, and decided to come here to vent.  I hope you don't mind because I know I'm new here and I hate it that my first post is a venting post.  Deep breaths.  I feel better now. Thanks.  :)

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
No worries...we all have those days. In our house, "I need to walk the dog." Is code for mommy needs to escape for a while. LOL

((Hugs))

My 11 yo is also adhd and has undiagnosed issues. Mostly with comprehension. Not sure if its dyslexia (school said no in 2nd grade) or what so I TOTALLY feel ya.

Id vote for having an off day. Relax...come back and hit the lessons in small chunks. I tell the kids pshing too hard is like gulping your food. You gotta take small bites or you will choke!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey Anna, welcome to the group. I've had days like that, too.  My DD has Aspergers and a combo of ADD/ADHD and sometimes hs can be challenging. I'm using Teaching Textbooks (along with Singapore) because DD responds to it like a game, having fun/learning at the same time.  I'm checking into Switched On Schoolhouse for Lang. Arts &  Geography for next year as DD just has no interest and I've got to jazz it up as much as possible--LOL

Feel free to vent away, vent as loudly as you like, whatever it takes....just so you feel better.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

hugsSorry, it's been a bad day.

Welcome to the group, though! 8)

oredeb
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

oh anna, one of those days!! yea i send em outside  sometimes also!hahaha

nothing like a little fresh air or another day to work miracles!!

debbie

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We have off days almost every week with 2 kids on the Autism Spectrum! Fell free to vent that is what we are here for.

1Redapple
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I'm new too.  I have an 11 year old dd.  Your son and my dd have some common behaviors.  Everyday has tears.  Best wishes.

Anna92464
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thank you, Thank you, thank you for all the kind words, lol!   Today was also a bit rough, and it was lovely to come here and see all these words of support, and just knowing I'm not alone!  But, today was better than yesterday.  Our problems today are just regular discipline problems.  I babysit a 4 year old little girl. She has been with me since she was 2 months old and her mama went back to work.  Today she decided to throw rocks at my son when she was mad at him.....little bugger....she's a bit spoiled by her stepdad who thinks this kind of behavior is cute, but nothing I couldn't handle.  She did tell me daddy was picking her up today and she doesn't want to stay with me anymore because I made her stay in the kitchen with me instead of playing outside because I couldn't trust her to behave herself....lol....I do love her like my own, thank goodness....Anyway, I'm rambling now.  Thank you all again!  Anna

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We all have those days Anna...you are not alone.  It is OK to cry on my shoulder today, if I can cry on yours one day :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN