Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering homeschool (Advice needed!)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I put my kids in k12, an online public school?

Options:

Yes (k12)

No (k12)

Regular homeschool is better

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

Hi, my daughters are 7 & 8. They are in 1st & 2nd grade. The both have been diognosed with ADHD (I don't agree, but that's another story) My youngest was given medication that landed her in the er. Honestly, the medication made her act like she was on meth. She is an "enthusiastic" child but I have never seen her almost cry because she cannot stop chewing on her tounge! My oldest daughter is being bullied, and picking on her sister. The boy in her class hits her and has "kicked her in the girl parts". She also wet herself in class because she was too scared to ask the teacher. She says "I don't matter to mrs...." We all have these ideas that we send our tiny ones off to school on their first day and they learn and grow so much in a safe healthy environment. Then why are so many children way behind in education and overweight? Sorry, I'm steaming about this now. The bus driver wants to put my kids on the handicapped bus because she does not want to deal with them, and my oldest cries everyday before school! I need help. I need to know if I should pull them out of public school. Has anyone heard of K12? If so is it a good idea? What should I do? Why do you homeschool? How do you know if you have what it takes to homeschool? 

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
calimom1123
by Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Sounds like your girls would do better in a homeschool setting. I have heard of k12 but at 1st/2nd grade I would do traditional instead of computer work. Using your own curriculum gives you greater flexibility. I like that we can take days off whenever we need to and we can get our days work done in a couple hours. We use Abeka and Christian light education curriculum which are both very easy to teach. They have teachers manuals to help so I wouldnt worry about not knowing enough to teach. There are alot of great curriculums out there. My dd is 7 and we decided to homeschool because she is very advanced and wanted her to be able to excel at her own pace. She loves hsing and I bet you will find your girls will too. You might even notice them become more happy and relaxed. I know my dds personality has blossomed since hsing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Has anyone heard of K12? Yes I have!

If so is it a good idea? I think it all depends on if you want to be told what to do or not!

What should I do? First you need to learn the laws for your state. Then learn a little about all your options. And based off of all that make a decision. Here is a site that will help you learn your laws & rights to homeschool.

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

Why do you homeschool? I homeschool for a lot of different reasons, but I started homeschooling to save my oldest son from being bullied & mistreated in school.

How do you know if you have what it takes to homeschool? The fact that my kids learned how to walk, talk, eat, dress themselves & all the other things they learned in the first 4-5 years of their lives tells me that with modern technology I should have no problem helping them learn anything else.

Danielle163
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Some people really like k12, but I've heard others say it is too rigid, unflexible. But your kids might like it. Or you could  read Home Learning Year by Year so you will have good guidelines to go by (what your girls should be learning/what grade and you can go hit your library for tons of  great book titles for living books for history & science) , buy  a good math curriculum (Singapore is good) and you could start out with Evan-Moor lang. arts workbooks.

Sounds like your kids are miserable. I pulled my DD out two years ago (2/3 of the way through first grade) due to bullying/social problems. Make sure you know your state's hs laws. hslda.org or enter your state+Department of Education. Granted, homeschooling is time consuming, but if you are committed you can do it. It seems very daunting at first....but the longer you do it, the more confidence you will have.

Rainbow Resource Center has Singapore Math.

http://rainbowresource.com/index.php#id=album-4&num=384

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

It sounds like your girls would really benefit from home schooling.  SOme of the reasons you listed are the very things we hope to prevent.  Teacher's labeling kids as ADHD, bullying, labeling, lack of a safe learning environment, and so on....
  As to qualifications.  If you can teach your kids to walk, talk, and use the potty, you can home school them.  The online programs are great, but using curriculum you pick our or design offers more flexibility, but can be more challenging.  But not impossible! Either way, it sounds like it is time to bring your kiddos out of the classroom.

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

hi sarah, i feel really bad for your daughters, sounds like they would do better at home, where you can be in control what they learn

answer your questions:

Has anyone heard of K12? yes ive heard of it, never used it, but some moms who just start out homeschooling use it till they can figure out how they want to homeschool their kids.

If so is it a good idea? i think it does help new mom homeschoolers till they figure out how they want to hs.

What should I do? talk with your dh, see if you both can think about what you want to do or find someone near you and talk to them about hom,eschooling

Why do you homeschool? i hs because i want to, my kids have never been to a school of any kind, i want to teach  them what i want them to learn, to be able to hellp them when they need it, to make it enjoyable,  and keep the bullies at bay, by the way mine are all graduated and doing just fine! good jobs, homes, and married.

How do you know if you have what it takes to homeschool? everyone mom ive ever met does and ive met a lot! if you really want it you will do it no matter how you have to change. 

firehorse13
by Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through all of that.  It sounds like homeschooling may be a good idea to try with your girls.  We recently tried k12 with our daughter (age 9).  She's been homeschooled since the beginning, and k12 was a bit of a shock for us.  It wasn't near as in depth as I'd hoped it would be, skimmed over topics quite a bit, and while it was nice to have everything planned out in advance for me, trying to get in the required attendace was insane! My daughter was finishing the work they said should take 5.5-6 hours per day in about 2 hours, and then she had to go on to the next days work to get in her required time.  She ended up finishing a whole grades worth of material in a little over 4 months.  If you decide homeschooling is for you, there are a ton of great resources that are also free (or very low cost) Good luck!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Oh boy, it is no wonder you are upset.  Mothers have a natural instinct when it comes to their own children...trust it.  I think you already know if you should home school or not.  So your next step is to get started.  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.  Knowing your State laws are the first step. Following is a link to an article that will provide you a link to that, and tuns more information for you.

How To Home School (important note: home school is not the class room...thank goodness)

There are several things that can mimic or cause ADHD, and drugs only mask.  This article explains:

Conditions That Cause Or Mimic Learning Disabilities

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)