Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am so livid!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
  • 205 Replies
2 moms liked this

My brother got married a while back. He is in Illinois. I live in GA. I have met his wife one time. She recently had a daughter.

Anyway, she is on my Facebook. She just sent me this message, "You probably will be angry with me, but I need to ask when you are going to start sending kids to school again? They are big helpers for you and I am sure they learn a lot at home, but they do need school."

As if I only have them home to help me? AS if we sit here all day and do nothing? As if homeschooling means LESS work for me? OMG am I livid. I no longer talk to my brother because he doesn't like my politics he said. I am a conservative and he is VERY liberal. OK fine, but you don't disown family like that. However, I am the one being judged because I homeschool? My blood pressure is at the boiling point! I am not homeschooling so I have less work! ARe you kidding me???????

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:07 PM
7 moms liked this

I would say some very not nice things back to her about it not being her business!

5BMom
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM
23 moms liked this
unfriend time, lol...after choice words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM
5 moms liked this

oh how sad, i bet down the road shes gona be homeschooling!hahaha

take some nice deep breath!! think calm things, like how your kids arent going to be pushed around, talked down to, bullied, labeled, go along with the crowd

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM
82 moms liked this

I would send her a message and then unfriend both her and your brother.  I would reply to her saying:

My children are in school, hence the word school at the end of homeschool, and that is where they'll stay.  It's a shame we've barely gotten to know each other and the only time you try to connect is to judge the way I am raising my children.  If you wish to continue sounding ignorant then I don't have any interest in getting to know you further.  If you wish to gain some intelligence then please educate yourself more about homeschooling families prior to messaging me with your narrow minded opinions.

In any case I'll do for you something you aren't willing to do for others; I won't be judgmental towards you or stick my nose into how you are raising your daughter.  It's a shame you couldn't afford the same respect towards me, I do wish you, my brother and niece a good life.

Goodbye!

After that I wouldn't have anything to do with them at all.  I'd wash my hands of them, I firmly believe life is too short to bother messing with people who only wish to create drama and bring people down.

Ellijaymom
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I wish I had read this response before I sent my message. I just got a reply to the message I sent her...."

I understand, but eventually classes will be harder and harder, especially math and science... and they need more peers around too"

I am done with this conversation.

Quoting Knightquester:

I would send her a message and then unfriend both her and your brother.  I would reply to her saying:

My children are in school, hence the word school at the end of homeschool, and that is where they'll stay.  It's a shame we've barely gotten to know each other and the only time you try to connect is to judge the way I am raising my children.  If you wish to continue sounding ignorant then I don't have any interest in getting to know you further.  If you wish to gain some intelligence then please educate yourself more about homeschooling families prior to messaging me with your narrow minded opinions.

In any case I'll do for you something you aren't willing to do for others; I won't be judgmental towards you or stick my nose into how you are raising your daughter.  It's a shame you couldn't afford the same respect towards me, I do wish you, my brother and niece a good life.

Goodbye!

After that I wouldn't have anything to do with them at all.  I'd wash my hands of them, I firmly believe life is too short to bother messing with people who only wish to create drama and bring people down.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh wow. I take it she has no clue what homeschool is all about!! I would write her and politely let her know that homescooling is more than the kids helping you out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM
11 moms liked this

Sometimes it is just easier to remove TOXIC people from your life................sorry your having problems.

Anna92464
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this

A long time ago, when I was homeschooling my older daughters (21 and 24 now),  I dealt with this sort of thing from many of my husband's family members.  As my girls got older I thought it was getting better, but it turns out it got worse, but they were attacking my kids (and I didn't know about it right away).  When it happened to my 2nd daughter, I gave her permission to be rude to family members who were being rude to her....but it still hurt.  If I had to do it again, I would have cut them out of my children's and my life to prevent the pain it caused our family.  To this day, my girls don't visit family and don't want to have anything to do with them.  I just started homeschooling my son.  He has visited family, but I'm very protective of him and limit their contact with him.  It isn't so hard because they live in California and we live in GA.  The challenge is that hubby works for an airline and our kids fly for free on standby.  I recently started homeschooling my son after a failed attempt at putting him in public school, and they are not happy.  So I'm bracing myself for more of the same, but I am older and wiser now. And much stronger.  I'm so sorry this is happening to you, but you are right to just stay away from them before your children get hurt.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I understand how you feel...anyone would in your shoes.  On facebook,  you can hide all her comments without taking her off as a friend if you so choose. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Oh man, how rude!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)