Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My brother got married a while back. He is in Illinois. I live in GA. I have met his wife one time. She recently had a daughter.

Anyway, she is on my Facebook. She just sent me this message, "You probably will be angry with me, but I need to ask when you are going to start sending kids to school again? They are big helpers for you and I am sure they learn a lot at home, but they do need school."

As if I only have them home to help me? AS if we sit here all day and do nothing? As if homeschooling means LESS work for me? OMG am I livid. I no longer talk to my brother because he doesn't like my politics he said. I am a conservative and he is VERY liberal. OK fine, but you don't disown family like that. However, I am the one being judged because I homeschool? My blood pressure is at the boiling point! I am not homeschooling so I have less work! ARe you kidding me???????

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Replies (201-205):
KristiDLee23
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Its a good thing we dont know who this person is or she'd be getting a lot of nast messages on the subject.

On another note, my sister homeschooled her children, I didn't agree with her decission - at the time - but it was none of my business. Now I see how it worked for them, they turned out great. Im so glad I didnt stick my nose in her business, as well as something I obviously knew nothing about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflykiss10
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a college degree and could homeschool my children. Unfortunately I don't have that choice to homeschool then. You're family should not judge, it's your children and not theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

hahahahaha!

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

Awww, bless her stupid heart, lol!

My brother and I are polar-opposites politically. Luckily we are able to duke it out without affecting our relationship.

Don't let those who don't understand what you are doing bother you hon. It's just not worth the headache.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I'm glad it's working out so well for you. It has taken me several years to learn how to not debate our decision.

Quoting ldylili:

When I faced opposition from my parents and siblings over my and my husband's decision to home educate it ticked me off initially. My husband, a very wise man, helped me to see that it was not worth a verbal debate or even a discussion with people who are closed. About 3 years in I ended up homeschooling my youngest sister and a niece. It's always hardest to have to defend a decision when there is family involved. Canceling family ties over differences of opinion is so sad and petty, but it's a reality sometimes. I am sorry that you have to defend your decision to homeschool and on top of that clarify the situation with the falling out with your brother--whew! My best advice is to not entertain any more conversations. Do not attempt to defend your reasons for homeschooling your children, or your reasons for anything you choose to do or not do for your family!

If you want to educate her on homeschooling practices, sharing academic success stats on homeschooling, and elaborating on how socialization is handled when homeschooling, essentially attempting to ger her to accept your choice, it just means more effort and patience on your part. You will have to be the bigger person. You will have to accept that she will try to poke holes in all your supporting evidence, no matter how compelling, no matter how didactic it is. In my humble opinion I think a better use of your time and energy is to put it towards your husband and children, not in an unconstructive back and forth debate with anyone who seems to me, condescending. 

I have been there and I know it's tempting to argue...but 10 years later, I am glad that the proof is in the pudding--my kids are doing remarkably well (happy, healthy, socialized, and are learning at their pace, accordining to their strengths...)...

Autsummom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

i

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)