Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science Advice

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM
  • 5 Replies
Science Advice: I have one who will be starting high school next year, and we've decided that we'd like to purchase a Science program, specific to each subject (I think it will make transcript writing much easier for one thing). The choices are a bit overwhelming! :) I think we have narrowed it down, but I'd love some input from you wonderful Homeschool Friends!

I'd also be interested to hear what Science programs you use with your younger kids, what grades they are, if you teach independently or in a multi-age group, and why you like the program. What are the good points?

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Danielle163
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I have a third grade DD and we are using Elemental Science Chemistry.  I like the program due to the fact that it is all laid out for you, tells you what books to use, the lessons are planned. You can do the lessons on a five day plan or two day plan. The pictures are drawn by the author herself and in black & white, so no colorful graphics.  But the USborne Encyclopedia of Science is one of the books used so you get tons of color there.

Science is my absolute worse subject (to teach) so I need all the help I can get. I'm probably going to be using ES Physics for 4th grade.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I used ABeka with all my children for science.  It has one of the best science curriculum.  I tried others through the yrs but we always came back to ABeka.  All but one of mine have now graduated :)   I do have other books that I have them read also.  I love the Eyewitness books of Science.  We have quite a few of those that they read and take notes on also. For Biology I use ABeka and Biology A Self Teaching Guide.  

oredeb
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

hi tiger!! what are you lookin at?

heres some ive tried!

apologia- these were great also, and another page for apologia

real science 4 kids - we loved these books!! very hands on

considering gods world- we liked this for 7th on down, more hands on, i also added stuff to it, but it is a christian curr.

from all these the kids and i learned so much, and the learning was fun!

i did use all of them for more than one student, we are using the apologia general science right now for my 13 yr old and 2- 14 yr olds, for the younger ones we are using some abeka, and astronomy(apologia)

i have used sos but didnt like the comp. work so much, but the kids did learn a lot

we've used bju, but it was more boring, i think cuz the pictures werent so good hahaha

abeka we like for the younger grades, nice pictures and good info

mostly with the older kids high school 10th and above we've done unit studies

comparison chart  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/how-to-choose-a-science-curriculum-teaching-tip/a/1140/

review page about science- http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/science-index.htm

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I plan on using Exploring Science for Pre-K and if I decide to go beyond Pre-K then I will be using Intro Science for Kindergarten. I will be doing the Exploring Science 2-day a week schedule.  Along with my magic school bus series.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info ladies!  I will check into those here that I haven't heard of.  Right now, we seem to be leaning toward Apologia, especially since it's continuous and we can use it for our gradeschoolers all the way through for our high schooler.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)