Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need History reccomendations

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am going to have to get more history  stuff for my girls. Currently we are using ABeka but they have both FLOWN through the books. They are 2nd & 4th grades but I'm thinking of going up a grade in history for each of them but not sure if I should.(2nd grader still has slight reading issues.)  So any reccomendations? I am going to try to go to the local Parent Teacher store tonight if I have time  to see what they have. I only need something to get me through the end of May so I don't wanna sink a  lot of money into something  big for a few months.

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

what about the next book in the abeka line?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You could always ask them to name a person from history they would like to learn more about & then get books about them & movies about them & have the girls make posters as an art project of the person.

Koltie3
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM
We started using Christian liberty press this year. It is in story form instead of the usual form. It is very inexpensive and has a teachers manual as well as test packet.
101stwife
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM

We are doing our own history curriculum. We are about to finish up WWI and go into WWII. I thought it would be perfect to learn about these while we are still living in Germany. That way we can visit the places that most people read about in books.

I like the pp idea of picking a person or maybe a time period that they are interested in and get books, look up stuff on the internet and get movies that tell about that person or time. It is so much more fun when they are learning about something that they are actually interested in :0)

SomewhatCrunchy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I loved Sonlight (if they are on the same grade level) and Tapestry of Grace

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Story of the World for the Classical Child

It is a four book series covering Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is told in narrative and you can purchase a wonderful activity book with each. The activity guide has narration prompts for you to use with the child, questions to ask the child after you/they read a chapter, extra book suggestions that correspond with each chapter, and a boatload of activities/crafts/projects.

I recommend buying Usborne Encyclopedia of World History alongside it (it calls for usage of this encyclopedia in the activity guide often).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

bookmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We like History of the world as well..

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It is a four book series covering Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is told in narrative and you can purchase a wonderful activity book with each. The activity guide has narration prompts for you to use with the child, questions to ask the child after you/they read a chapter, extra book suggestions that correspond with each chapter, and a boatload of activities/crafts/projects.

I recommend buying Usborne Encyclopedia of World History alongside it (it calls for usage of this encyclopedia in the activity guide often).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yes, there is also A Child's History of the World by Hillyer (Calvert Academy). We have it as well and love it.

Quoting bookmommy:

We like History of the world as well..

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM

As for the reading problems, I recommend this video:

For history, a good Christian based Curriculum others tell me they like is the American Heritage Series. I have not used it, but here is their website for more information: Wall Builders, Americans Forgotten History.

However, I like producing my own history lessons based on old text books, dictionaries, and documents on the Constitution and its history.  I learn while I teach which makes it all very fascinating.  Here are several free articles if that interests you.  Educators Resources (scroll down Constitution and History section)

itsrks
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We really enjoyed the K12 History books. In 4th and 5th grades they use the History of US series. Then, they have three books for world history. You can just do the one course with them. We shared the books and the online program. If you can get the books and the teacher's manual online through a search, you really don't need the online program.

Anyway, we found the books to be really interesting. I'd read the books aloud and then we'd have a fun discussion using the printouts. We'd make a game out of it. For each correct answer, the child would get a certain number of points. The one with the most points would win. My kids didn't care so much about the number of points or winning. They just enjoyed the game and the reading. We have such fond memories.

I thing reading out loud for history is a good way to learn it and experience it.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN