Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Exercising Homeschoolers, I need some help!

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter and even I need to get up and moving more often during the day. I am loving the weather we had today here in PA, 60's in February? YES!, but winter is usually cold and with summer being so hot we don't exercise outside too often other then hiking and biking. We need to get moving! We do dance breaks between some classes but it seems to distract my first grader and she thinks dancing is a okay time to sit down and play with toys. It takes me some time to get her focused again. I was looking for a exercise DVD for kids to do but came up empty. Anyone know if there is a good exercise program we can do at home that is easy and fun for kids too? Thanks for your help!

Theresa

by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
ANSLUASI
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

We play the 3 jar game. The first jar has slips of paper with actions on it: walk backwards across the room, hop 6 times, take 5 giant steps, or whatever, one action per slip. The second jar contains slips with an object written on them: with the frying pan, with the egg beater (the sillier the better). The third jar has a place to put the object from jar number 2: on your head, between your knees, behind your back, etc. So, you draw one slip from each jar and put them together for your turn's instructions:

Hop across the room...with the collander...on your head.

Very, very silly. Very, very tiring. Very, very fun. Watching her try to hop across a room with a spoon between her knees is beyond hilarious. She finds my efforts equally funny. And watching Daddy try to skip with a collander on his head is marvelous. Grandpa was even better.  And my daughter LOVES thinking up wacky new instructions. We end up tired out from laughing and from playing, the best combo ever.

findingfaith
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I am loving these ideas! We started going for hikes in the woods that is nearby our house every day. Not only are we exercising we are also birdwatching. Saw a blue heron fly right over us today! We don't have a video game system in our home so those ideas sound great but not for us. I like the relay race and the jar of ideas to pick from every day. It would make it more fun for her I think! Keep it coming ladies!

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You could check on Amazon for workout DVD's and see what the different reviews say. I was doing this at one point...not sure why I didn't follow through.

enslowemily
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
My 1st grader really enjoy this yoga video,

http://www.amazon.com/Storyland-Yoga-Kids-Families-ages/dp/B0038ASYTI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328828673&sr=8-6

I also got this one, but we're waiting until we outgrow the first one...

http://www.amazon.com/Shanti-Generation-Skills-Youth-Peacemakers/dp/B002FPX1CC/ref=pd_cp_mov_3

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM
I just saw a dvd set @ costco today that looked neat. It had 5 different dvds. Pilates, yoga, personal trainer,exercise ball workouts ...darn ..what was the other? LOL

Anyway...it was for 5 days of different workouts and was only $18.99
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anna92464
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

My son enjoyed Yoga for Kids. It was a dvd that lasted about 30 minutes but was fun and designed to do alone or with your parent.  Also he takes taekwondo twice a week.  This not only helped him physically, but built confidence as well as helped him learn to stand up for himself when he needed to.  He actually started the class when he was attending school and being bullied.  It helped.  But we continued after going back to homeschool because it is such a great workout for him.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I know this wasnt the question - LOL - but my DS1 and I do karate together. For a while all of the kids nd I were. OMG what a workout and a total blast!

globalhorse45
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Wii has yoga
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids like the ones we check out from the library, whether for kids or adults.  We checked out Zumba one time and it was a blast!  We all take turns walking on the treadmill as well.  Living in Wyoming I understand the weather thing!  When the weather is nice, it's usually so windy you can't see for the sand flying by!

findingfaith
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

We have the yoga dvd for kids. My daughter loves it for a few times then gets bored. I think I need to get her on a more low impact adult workout to get her interested. Thanks for all the info. I will look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)