Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you test periodically to gauge learning progress?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 17 Replies

We "test" here and there, but nothing formal. I'm wondering if we should be taking the IOWA or something at the beginning and end of a year..

~Jen-Mom to a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old Aussie!

Come by my blog for homeschooling tips, thoughts, video game advice and general fun!

http://geekygamergalsmusings.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
We are first grade, I'm not sure if there is a test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

no ive never tested, unless it was to ask them questions about something they read or such, but never any iowa or ones like that, i already know what they know just by working with them daily

does your hs law say you have to test every year? or other year?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My daughter tests every year with a test similar to IOWA. When my son, is able to sit for a test, I'll have him tested, also.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We are in Iowa and you have three options to stay legal (S. testing, portfolio, or HSAP). Due to a very incompetent hs coordinator, we pulled out of the HSAP and did the ST this year. I purchased a test from RRC to prepare DD for the testing as she has never been tested B/F. Starting next year, when  DD is in 4th grade, I'm going to start testing her in Jan. (our mid-year) so I will see any problem areas. Just in case I might be neglecting something, I will see it on the test. But the testing is just for me, not the state.  Here in Iowa, the state has the power to put kids back in school if they don't show growth. My DD  was bullied so bad in ps, I won't take the chance of that happening.

We are getting back into the HSAP for next year, and I'm hoping this guy does a better job then. Who knows, I may have to go portfolio.

bookmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Exactly..I'd like to test just for me to see if he is having problems or just where he is academically.

Quoting Danielle163:

We are in Iowa and you have three options to stay legal (S. testing, portfolio, or HSAP). Due to a very incompetent hs coordinator, we pulled out of the HSAP and did the ST this year. I purchased a test from RRC to prepare DD for the testing as she has never been tested B/F. Starting next year, when  DD is in 4th grade, I'm going to start testing her in Jan. (our mid-year) so I will see any problem areas. Just in case I might be neglecting something, I will see it on the test. But the testing is just for me, not the state.  Here in Iowa, the state has the power to put kids back in school if they don't show growth. My DD  was bullied so bad in ps, I won't take the chance of that happening.

We are getting back into the HSAP for next year, and I'm hoping this guy does a better job then. Who knows, I may have to go portfolio.

Jeremmy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We have the option of portfolio review or testing at the end of the year (starting this fall for 1st grade). I dont know any teachers that I would trust to not be biased against home schooling, so he will be doing the yearly testing. Since we are so one on one, I know what his progress is and dont need to be reminded at a certain time each year for my own peace of mind.

bookmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Illinois doesn't have any requirements per se other than the kids must be taught in the diciplines they state but I guess I just don't trust the Government. I was thinking it might be nice to have a test to show someone if they ever come asking. We have a HUGE portfolio though..I guess I'm just nervous. Plus, I dfo sort of have a "feel" for how he's doing day to day but it'd be nice to see it reflected on a test, KWIM?

Quoting Jeremmy:

We have the option of portfolio review or testing at the end of the year (starting this fall for 1st grade). I dont know any teachers that I would trust to not be biased against home schooling, so he will be doing the yearly testing. Since we are so one on one, I know what his progress is and dont need to be reminded at a certain time each year for my own peace of mind.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Quoting bookmommy:

Exactly..I'd like to test just for me to see if he is having problems or just where he is academically.

Quoting Danielle163:

I purchased a test (Test Best on the Iowa Test of Basic Skills) from Rainbow Resource Center. For $25 I got the test and  Teacher's Edition. It had a little over 500 questions.  Giving DD the test really helped me see that we need to work a little harder on certain areas of Lang. Arts (she got a B+) and let me know that we are doing wonderful in math and reading.  Homeschool moms have a lot going on and it is nice to know that they are available if you want one.

bookmommy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I may do that..thanks!!

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting bookmommy:

Quoting Danielle163:

I purchased a test (Test Best on the Iowa Test of Basic Skills) from Rainbow Resource Center. For $25 I got the test and  Teacher's Edition. It had a little over 500 questions.  Giving DD the test really helped me see that we need to work a little harder on certain areas of Lang. Arts (she got a B+) and let me know that we are doing wonderful in math and reading.  Homeschool moms have a lot going on and it is nice to know that they are available if you want one.

jjchick75
by Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

No we don't and I can't say that I've ever thought about it or ever would. I don't think setting a child down and making them take a big long test is really going to show you that much on how much they know. There test over every section of her homeschool stuff and she always does well on those and I can just tell she is learning(better than she ever did in public school!)! I taught for 10 years in public school and thought state test were crap! Espcially the one here in Texas! I think the best way to judge what they know is by talking to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)