Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you test periodically to gauge learning progress?

Posted by   + Show Post

We "test" here and there, but nothing formal. I'm wondering if we should be taking the IOWA or something at the beginning and end of a year..

~Jen-Mom to a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old Aussie!

Come by my blog for homeschooling tips, thoughts, video game advice and general fun!

http://geekygamergalsmusings.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Replies (11-17):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Nope no test here just conversations about what they are learning & if they understand it!

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

We are required by law to test at the end of 3,6,9 and 12 grade. I like to go ahead and test yearly just for practice for the ones that "count" (by law we do not submit the tests but must make the results available if asked for them). I've used a few tests over the years and prefer the PASS because is was written specifically for homeschoolers.

Jeremmy
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

logan is just in K now. once hes older and doing stuff more on his own i will probably feel exactly how you are describing...since i wont be as in touch on a day to day basis. and ill admit...theres bragging rights in a state wide test score. no one can pretend im padding his scores, ect...

Quoting bookmommy:

Illinois doesn't have any requirements per se other than the kids must be taught in the diciplines they state but I guess I just don't trust the Government. I was thinking it might be nice to have a test to show someone if they ever come asking. We have a HUGE portfolio though..I guess I'm just nervous. Plus, I dfo sort of have a "feel" for how he's doing day to day but it'd be nice to see it reflected on a test, KWIM?

Quoting Jeremmy:

We have the option of portfolio review or testing at the end of the year (starting this fall for 1st grade). I dont know any teachers that I would trust to not be biased against home schooling, so he will be doing the yearly testing. Since we are so one on one, I know what his progress is and dont need to be reminded at a certain time each year for my own peace of mind.

krazymama4
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

my state does not require testing i do do assements just to make sure they are retaining the info but it is like 60 ?'s   or so i just want to make sure they are retaining the info for my own sake

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I occasionally test. Not often at all.  I give them a fairly big one before I graduate them though :) No,  I never did any state tests or any such thing.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

lucsch
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don't test my dd.

I already know what she knows.

I am careful about researching what I should teach her.

If I wasn't sure I was using the right curriculum, maybe I would test her.

MS.TAI75
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

this is great to know other parents are concerned about the same things as myself concerning state tests. The advice given to me was since my 4yr old son is so young he doesnt need a kindergarten readiness test here in California. But when i look at everyone's reponses it looks like whats best for me or us is yearly tests depending or our child's progress.  Scary to think some parents fear that the government will throw your child back in poopie school i mean public school if the child is not passing "tests". My son will be 5 soon and i still want him to take this test which will let me know how much he has really learned.  

Good luck with everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)